flat 2x12 laying on roof to accept rafters from reverse gable

Snoodle

The building dept. requires us to put a 2x12 laying on the main pitched roof to accept the rafter tails from a reverse gable or saddle sitting on the main roof.  I cannot get this to draw in chief Arch X8 framing.  it will not follow the pitch of the main roof.  It wants to act like blocking between the main roof rafters or sticks above the roof plane.

There must be a way but I don't know how to do it.  any help would be appreciated.

I can't submit drawing as I can't do it.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, Chopsaw said:

Here is a link to an old but good X3 video of using the valley rafters for valley plates by Alan Brown: http://www.indyblueprints.com/videos.html   see video #4 and there may be others you might find helpful.

This would be a little more work to do over trusses but I think it could be accomplished however there is still the issue of the valley plates not laying flat on the lower roof plane that you have to decide if it will work for your own situation or not.

On 3/25/2017 at 3:17 AM, Chopsaw said:

Hi Boxon,  Here is the link to the post where Rod shared the file I use as a demo in the video: 

And here is a video of how I think he did this, but of course I am open to suggestions if there is a simpler way. Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

No easy way to do it and there are several ways to do it. Amount of work will depend on who needs to see it. 2d for construction documents is easy like Perry's way or 3d (not sure who needs to see 3d except us, lol) and Rod Cole will show you how SOLIDS work for this situation.

I noticed he was struggling to get the flat valley running perpendicular to the roof. Remember hip and valleys do not run at the same angle as the roof. A 6/12 Hip or valley runs at 6/17. The run is always /17" on a hip and valley.

Hi Boxon,  Here is the link to the post where Rod shared the file I use as a demo in the video: 

And here is a video of how I think he did this, but of course I am open to suggestions if there is a simpler way. Hope this helps.

With Michael's tip this works much better.  Not quite sure what the rules are or where they are written but boxes seem to play better on a roof than solids.

If you're going to use the solid method, you can make your life a lot easier by starting with a BOX.  Draw it in plan view, then rotate it in elevation to match your roof pitch, and then LASTLY...rotate it in plan view to match your valley.  You can then offset as necessary and use boolean operations to trim it.

Thank you for all the help. I was able to get the task done using the indyblueprints method.  I then manually deleted the stick framing and place trusses instead.

I was close but just couldn't get the little details needed.

I have to show this on every porch, saddle, shed roof as we are modular and every stick built detail has to be shown.