Plan Notes/Details - Anno Set Links

SNestor

Question for the gurus...

If I create a plan file that includes general plan notes...such as framing notes, roof notes, siding notes, general notes etc.  Does this notes plan have to be stored in the same directory as a new job plan set?  

I know it is suggested that the plan files and it's layout file should typically be saved in the same directory...but what about other plan files, such as a "details plan" or a "sections plan"...that houses just typical drawings.  Do these plans have to be located in the same directory with the job base plan and layout?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

They plan file can be stored wherever you want as long as you tell the layout file where it's at.  I think people just recommend the file remain in the same folder so that the path is less likely to change and so that people don't lose it. 

Well...thats good news.  I wonder if I was the only one who thought that these plan files had to be stored in the same directory as the layout?  

Thanks for the info Michael.

19 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I wonder if I was the only one who thought that these plan files had to be stored in the same directory as the layout?  

Thanks for the info Michael.

You're welcome, and I'm not really sure.  I guess I could be wrong about my assumed reasoning but I do know I've heard the same thing recommended many times.  Based on my personal experience it just doesn't really seem to matter though. 

I use plan notes stored in 1 location when they are used in numerous plans. Just remember not to move them or change their directory in any way.

Also if you make a change to the text it will change in all locations it was used. If I need to change the text for a special instance I copy the plan to the project folder and then make the change,.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Just keep the Main Plan File and the Layout File in the same directory.  All other Plan Files (General Notes, Details, etc) can be in another folder.  I prefer to keep them subfolder(s) in the Chief Data Folder.

Thanks Joe...

One more question about other plan files...

What do you do with those files when Chief issues a new version of the program?  If you open and save them to the new version...what happens to older plans that are linked to them?

32 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

I use plan notes stored in 1 location when they are used in numerous plans. Just remember not to move them or change their directory in any way.

Also if you make a change to the text it will change in all locations it was used. If I need to change the text for a special instance I copy the plan to the project folder and then make the change,.

Thanks for the info...very helpful

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

Thanks Joe...

One more question about other plan files...

What do you do with those files when Chief issues a new version of the program?  If you open and save them to the new version...what happens to older plans that are linked to them?

If they are in the Chief Data Folder (or a subfolder thereof) you might need to relink.  If they are in a folder independent of the Chief Architect version then no relink would be needed.  That's probably the best solution - something like "My Documents/Chief Architect Notes and Details".

In my case, I use a Folder in Dropbox and I retain the old Chief Architect versions and all their folders.  Currently I have X4, X5, X6, X7, X8 and X9 all available.  It's probably time to clean out some of those - at least as archives.

11 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

I understand that a layout file will look first in its own directory and then in its own sub-directories for a file of the name referenced. Only if it doesn't find it does it start looking elsewhere. So you can have multiple files named "Plan Notes.PLAN." 

Richard,

It works like this:

• When sending to Layout Chief first looks for an open Layout
  • If none found it looks for a Layout the same name as the Plan in the Plan Folder
  • If that's not found then it will use the Default Layout File

Layout Boxes all have a link to the Plan & View that they came from (it's a full qualified path, filename and view)

• If that location, file & view doesn't exist then you would need to relink

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Richard,

It works like this:

• When sending to Layout Chief first looks for an open Layout
  • If none found it looks for a Layout the same name as the Plan in the Plan Folder
  • If that's not found then it will use the Default Layout File

Layout Boxes all have a link to the Plan & View that they came from (it's a full qualified path, filename and view)

• If that location, file & view doesn't exist then you would need to relink

Not sure what the sending to Layout part is about, since that was not related to my point, but as far as opening a Layout goes, if you have a duplicate "Notes.PLAN" file that is in the same directory as the Layout, it does not matter if the view was originally sent from a Notes.PLAN file in a different directory. The Layout will find and open the closest Notes.PLAN file, regardless of the original sending path. (Unless the file isn't there.) See page 1265 of the Reference Manual, or try it. I just did. So Steve, keep all of your in-use files in the same directory as the Layout, or in subdirectories thereof, to avoid confusing Chief, which is Chief's recommendation.

35 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Not sure what the sending to Layout part is about, since that was not related to my point, but as far as opening a Layout goes, if you have a duplicate "Notes.PLAN" file that is in the same directory as the Layout, it does not matter if the view was originally sent from a Notes.PLAN file in a different directory. The Layout will find and open the closest Notes.PLAN file, regardless of the original sending path. (Unless the file isn't there.) See page 1265 of the Reference Manual, or try it. I just did. So Steve, keep all of your in-use files in the same directory as the Layout, or in subdirectories thereof, to avoid confusing Chief, which is Chief's recommendation.

Richard - Thanks for your comments.  

The thing is...I don't want to keep my "standard" notes and detail plans in the same directory as the JOB.plan file and JOB.layout files.  I would prefer to keep them in a separate directory...like Joe suggested...in my documents directory...or, maybe out on DropBox.  I don't intend to have a specific JOB NOTES.plan file in one of my job folders.

Although, I can see I may need a specific JOB NOTES.plan file...so, I think the key is to name the "general notes plan" something like GENERAL NOTES.plan...and the specific job notes file...JOB NOTES.PLAN.  This way I can link both files to the layout...without confusion?  Yes?  

Feel free to comment...I can't say with any certainty I know what I'm talking about.  I will be experimenting over the next few days as time permits...so, I'll know more in a week or so.   

Steve, people have argued about this issue before, but I personally (and I know that some people here disagree with me) think that it is a mistake to have a single source for standard notes and details because things can change behind your back. For example, you have a note that states IBC 2015 is the governing code. You submit a set of plans during this code cycle. When the new code cycle hits, you update the Code note to 2018. This will then update the Code reference for plans that have already been submitted under the earlier cycle. This is just a minor example where you DON'T want things to change behind your back, but it happens with details, too.

Personally, I think it is better to have notes already on your template layout (not in a detail file), where they are not likely to change once you start using a Layout. Also, copying details into a Layout's CAD Detail manager, and sending the details from there, will keep the project's relevant details with that project, as well as keep the main plan file size down. You can have multiple plans referenced from the Layout of course, but it makes your life more difficult, especially if you want to move the project to a different computer or file location. 

3 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Steve, people have argued about this issue before, but I personally (and I know that some people here disagree with me) think that it is a mistake to have a single source for standard notes and details because things can change behind your back. For example, you have a note that states IBC 2015 is the governing code. You submit a set of plans during this code cycle. When the new code cycle hits, you update the Code note to 2018. This will then update the Code reference for plans that have already been submitted under the earlier cycle. This is just a minor example where you DON'T want things to change behind your back, but it happens with details, too.

Personally, I think it is better to have notes already on your template layout (not in a detail file), where they are not likely to change once you start using a Layout. Also, copying details into a Layout's CAD Detail manager, and sending the details from there, will keep the project's relevant details with that project, as well as keep the main plan file size down. You can have multiple plans referenced from the Layout of course, but it makes your life more difficult, especially if you want to move the project to a different computer or file location. 

Great info Richard.  Thanks.  

Richard,

I agree with regard to Project Specific Details and Notes.  But many notes and details are "standard" and need not be in the Project Folder.  "Code References" should of course be Project Specific and I would have those in a CAD Detail in the Plan.

I will have to check on the "duplicate names" that you mention as always being first found in the same Folder as the Layout.  IMO it shouldn't work that way but I would never have such a condition anyway.

• 1 month later...