JennyB

Help With Computer Selection.

Hello all,

I'm currently running X6 on an old Vista machine and it's time to upgrade. I'm very familiar with the specs Chief publishes to run X6, but I am looking for actual product recommendations. It must be a laptop as for the new few years, I will be traveling a good bit.

I've been thinking about Alienware in particular the one third on the right on this page: http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-18/pd.aspx

Now, I'm well aware of what people say about Alienware - that it's overpriced. I know that. However, in my situation, I am willing to pay a premium to get a high performance machine and relatively quickly. As you can see, spec wise, the Alienware 18 ******should****** run X6 brilliantly. Has anyone else used Alienware to run Chief or have another manufacturer to suggest?

Thanks,

Jenny 

do a search on laptops , it was discussed a few times recently but I think a few liked the Sager and Asus brands too   for $3200 you should have LOTS of Choices...

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

Thanks for your response, Kbird. I've heard good things about Sager and the website is quite helpful. 

$3200 is a lotta PC

be sure you need that kind of oomph for your Chief needs

most chiefers can get by nicely with approx. $1500 PC's

it is very easy to "overkill" with the specs

Lew

$3200 is a lotta PC

be sure you need that kind of oomph for your Chief needs

most chiefers can get by nicely with approx. $1500 PC's

it is very easy to "overkill" with the specs

Lew

$1500, I think it is doable, what would you recommend?  Me, I can't resist the 'oomph' :P,  Heck, I remember paying $8,800 for a 11 Mb hard drive way back when...

Bill

Bill:

bought my first computer in 1978

for decades I considered $2000+ to be the "sweet spot"

now It's $1500 for laptops, closer to $1000 for desktops

to guide in picking a system at $1500 (or any price point)

I would need more info as to the users goals and needs and wants etc

$3200 buys a lotta PC these days

it can be justified or it can be "overkill"

Lew

I ended up purchasing this custom Sager computer laptop and am extremeley pleased! It's fast and Sager has great customer service. Well worth my money!

SPECIAL 9772-S SPECIAL PACKAGE
NP9772U-0 17.3" FHD/MATT NOTEBOOK 8F01SC033444 $2,819.00
WIN7-S3 WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL 64 BIT  
CG-ICD IC Diamond on CPU + GPU 
D-I74790K Core i7 4790K(4.0 GHz) 8M
V-9772-980M nV GeForce GTX 980M w/8GB 
R3-32G-4H18 32GB 1866 HYPERX (4 DIMMS) 
M2P-941-512 SAMSUNG XP941 512G M.2 PCIe SSD   
H13-1TB-S7 2.5" SATA 1TB(7200rpm) HDD  
W2-N1525 KILLER WLAN N1525 AC+BT M.2  

Complete Sager Branding   $0.00 $0.00 1 1 NDP-SCREEN 30 DAYS NO DEAD PIXEL GUARANTEE  
S-FREE FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING  
S24-9772 Sager

Nice system, that should work for you for many years.  How much was that puppy?

$2,819.00

I'm curious how they managed 8GB out of the 980M.  Unless they're counting dedicated + virtual (shared, system).  Now I must investigate.

Nice system!

jon

It was around $2,900k with the warrenty, but way WORTH IT for the speed!
This laptop has a desktop processer.
Jenny

This laptop has a desktop processer.

Make sure you buy a good cooling pad; you'll need it.

jon

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SBMGdolla
    Newest Member
    SBMGdolla

• By carowe
      I just bought a new desktop and two 27” monitors in December and last week signed a contract on a job out of state that will require quite a bit of travel.  I am going to have to get a new laptop but really don’t want to spend a fortune at this point and don’t want to have to buy another license.  Most of my work will be done in my office, but on my trips out there will need to access my CA files, and perhaps work on them. What would be the minimum requirements I would need in order to access my main computer and let it do the heavy lifting on CA?  I use X11 Interiors and will primarily be working on kitchen and bathroom designs for the architect.
    • By PvdPol
      Dear all,

I'm new to the forums and i've tried to find my way in the already existing topics, such as
      - https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html
      - https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/21934-hardware-recommendations/?tab=comments#comment-179153

I could not find an answer yet, hopefully some of you can help me out.
      I am currently struggling with Chief Architect Premier, ray traces are really slow at 1080P (1 pass takes like 15-30 min)
      Also working for in PBR is making my system really really slow and it is getting frustrating.
      My model is not complex and I think I need an hardware upgrade.

Current machine (Notebook - April 2014)
      X•BOOK 15CL56 NVIDIA GTX770m 3GB, Full HD (+/- 20000 3DMARK) Intel® CoreTM i7-4710MQ (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz) - 47Watt (Quadcore) 16GB DDR3L (1600MHz)
        New system specifications (not bought yet)
      AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Boxed MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K16G4D30AESB  (32GB Ram) Intel 660p 1TB Solidstate drive Graphic card? Nvidia? Any Advice?  
      I think the 32 GB of memory is already an overkill, not sure if this is needed.
      But I'm mostly wondering regarding the choice of CPU and Graphics card

Is this a good setup? What kind of performance improvements can I expect? What would be your advice?

Thank you!

Regards,
      Peter

• By winglakedesign
      Hello everyone,  

I am about to purchase a new MacBook Pro.  Mine current MacBook Pro is  2015, Intel Core i5, 2.9 GHz, 8 GB MHz, Intel Iris Graphcs 6100 1536 MB.  Whatever all that means....I get the swirling rainbow often because I run Affinity Photo and Home Designer Architectural along with a few other things being open at the same time...mail, messages, etc.   

So - time to upgrade.  I don't know which is more important to help run programs quickly - Obviously - I would like the upgrades on all - but it's already so expensive so wondering if the combination of standard and some upgrade will be okay.  I have  design business and use Chief Architecture for floor plan and furniture layouts to present to clients. 

1) 2.6GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz (standard)  vs 
      2.9GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz

2) 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 (standards)  memory vs. 
      32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory

3) Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory (standard) vs
      Radeon Pro Vega 16 with 4GB of HBM2 memory vs 
      Radeon Pro Vega 20 with 4GB of HBM2 memory

I was originally thinking of doing the upgrade to the i9 intel processor - only but then someone mentioned upgrading the graphics card. 

I am sticking with Mac at this time because it's what I know.  Can anyone advise please?  Thank you so much!  
    • By AnotherCADUser
      I've been getting into the rendering and video side of CA. I've been using a Mac with 12gb shared ram, which is ok, but you can see it's not great, esp the frame rate. I want to really get into it with clients so I'm going to get X10 and my son said it should be smooth as with this machine. What do you think?

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-7000-gaming-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/a511070au

• By Love2Design
      I am in the market for a new computer and was wondering if the HP Pavillion 27" touchscreen all in one desktop would be a good choice? I am still a beginner with Chief Architect and use it  for more of a hobby right now but would like to design some new homes in the future.

thank you.

Shelli