X9 no longer opens .pl1 files?

BenPalmer

On 2/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, BenPalmer said:

Completely understand the need to upgrade and I'm all for it.  However, just as was done with legacy library file formats, an import legacy .pl1 file utility should be implemented within Chief to convert those forward the same way I would open the file in X8 and then X9 to bring it forward.  Please reconsider completely dropping support for this file and instead implement a way to import legacy plans.

Ben, I am in the same boat as you.  I have several large builders with Master Plan Sets (100's of plans).  Many of them still reside in V9 but get called back to active duty or get code updates.  This will be a blow to me time wise to sort and update.  Many other software company's provide stand alone or integrated update features so the users don't loose there hard earned work.  That's important, for me it's thousands of hours of work.   When Chief currently opens an older version file there is code working to bring it up to date.  Why not use the X8 code to first bring it up then convert it to X9 or make it a stand alone. 

Bill Wakefield

I've had this kind of problem with a few applications over the years and I've ended up creating automisation scripts (AutoIt/custom app) to work through the files. The last time I did this I converted almost 10k files but it relies on not needing manual updates for each file.  

It's a shame that vendors don't always consider valid use cases for files in older formats.

Dermot,  Here is some Loyal User food for thought.  I did a Master Plan count and I have 214 Master Plan sets, each having a right and left hand version and each of those having a Slab, Basement and Crawl version, so 6 plans for each.  That's 1,284 individual plans.  481 of the plans are still in V9.  In addition there are over 1000 individual homes our office has drawn since V4.  Be aware that as time goes by these clients come back requesting additions and remodels to there homes.  Do I start from scratch?  How do I inform them all the work is lost due to software upgrades and they will need to pay for it all over again?

Bill Wakefield

I started with X1, and I can tell you that bringing even an X1 file into X9 would be a nightmare for me.  So much has changed that it wouldn't even be worth the effort of using an existing plan file.  I would likely just open it as a reference, and redraw everything.  That way it is in my current template and using all my current defaults, wall styles, etc. etc. etc.

1 hour ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

I started with X1, and I can tell you that bringing even an X1 file into X9 would be a nightmare for me.  So much has changed that it wouldn't even be worth the effort of using an existing plan file.  I would likely just open it as a reference, and redraw everything.  That way it is in my current template and using all my current defaults, wall styles, etc. etc. etc.

Rod, I respectfully disagree.  Not sure what size homes you do, or the level of detail.  But I can bring an old Chief 9, 10 or other version forward and be working full tilt on it in about 20 mintues, after cleaning things up, importing annotation sets, wall definitions, changing different defaults, settings, etc..  The only side effect is the plan can be a little sluggish when working in 3D, but I don't blame that on Chief.  I expect some hiccups going back that far, but it works pretty good.  Good enough that I keep doing it.  If I were to start over on a plan, it would take a good day to recreate floor plan and elevations (more or less depending on plan).  Not too mention all the finishing details, saving me several days into possibly a week or so.  Way faster to bring a plan forward in 20 minutes of clean up and some sluggishness then starting over.  I do this regularly, so I have a system down, and I have a huge library of plans to call from going back to 1998. (would love to record this transition process in a macro, which would make the transition even faster).  It's not an occasional thing.

This lost feature is a big handicap to my business.

(would love to record this transition process in a macro, which would make the transition even faster).  

Ben:

I have been requesting a macro language with a recording feature for over a decade

eventually CA gave us a lame implementation of Ruby

we can only hope for the ability to record clicks to create macros someday

Lew

4 hours ago, BenPalmer said:

Rod, I respectfully disagree.  Not sure what size homes you do, or the level of detail.  But I can bring an old Chief 9, 10 or other version forward and be working full tilt on it in about 20 mintues, after cleaning things up, importing annotation sets, wall definitions, changing different defaults, settings, etc..  The only side effect is the plan can be a little sluggish when working in 3D, but I don't blame that on Chief.  I expect some hiccups going back that far, but it works pretty good.  Good enough that I keep doing it.  If I were to start over on a plan, it would take a good day to recreate floor plan and elevations (more or less depending on plan).  Not too mention all the finishing details, saving me several days into possibly a week or so.  Way faster to bring a plan forward in 20 minutes of clean up and some sluggishness then starting over.  I do this regularly, so I have a system down, and I have a huge library of plans to call from going back to 1998. (would love to record this transition process in a macro, which would make the transition even faster).  It's not an occasional thing.

This lost feature is a big handicap to my business.

Respectfully, I said it would be a nightmare for me.  Other users may have different results.

My solution is I maintain versions 7-18 on my PC so I can accommodate any users who still use antique software, It is just hard drive space and hard drives are cheap. I also have all Home Designer titles since version 7 of that line for the same reason. Works for me.

DJP