Editing Shape/splines

Nicinus

I've created a custom Island countertop shape consisting of about ten points. I would now now like to change the shape by selecting 4 of those points and move them to make the Island longer. How do I do that? I can't seem to figure out how to multi-select points on a spline.

I then tried to instead stretch my spline shape in one direction, but I can't find a way to do that either. The transform tool does not allow for resizing on one axis only.

When I do custom c-tops I use only one cabinet to start. That avoids having a bunch of extra nodes so I can easily stretch a side as needed. Adding nodes is easier than getting rid of them. Don't know why you can't stretch in the second direction, sometimes that can be overcome going the wrong way first, release the stretch in the direction you need. Sometimes the control key helps.

But surely I must be able to edit multiple points, no? I'm getting a bit discouraged though, it doesn't seem as if I can choose/lock the spline and then edit its components without risking to select other objects. I would like to isolate the object I'm working on and then choose multiple points for simultaneous editing. Is that not possible? 

So I've played more with this now and come to the following conclusions:

- The only way to erase a point is to drag it over another one?

- There are no multiple points operations, everything is done point by point?

This is a little indirect, but....

convert the countertop to a plain polyline, then select the "edit object parts" tool and group select the points or parts you want to move.  Make the move, or various moves, and then reconnect for a closed polyline.  Then convert it back to a countertop.

This is a little indirect, but....

convert the countertop to a plain polyline, then select the "edit object parts" tool and group select the points or parts you want to move.  Make the move, or various moves, and then reconnect for a closed polyline.  Then convert it back to a countertop.

But how do I group select points? I've converted to plain polyline, chosen edit object parts tool, but I see no difference in the way I can manipulate the spline? I can't seem to move the various line individually.

Think about using the UNION,INTERSECT, and SUBTRACT tools to quickly eliminate excess points.

That is ridiculous! One should be able to edit a spline much easier than that, spline editing is a key function of a CAD program.

did you do your reshaping ,sizing etc  BEFORE you converted to a countertop?... once it is an "object"  the edit parts tool doesn't work (does it ?) as it's no longer a CAD line.

If you break the polyline and touch a section with the edit parts tool , it straightens that part of the curve, (my experience to date) but I don't play with custom counter tops often and use the arcs tool usually, maybe more options in X6? but not sure you can multi-select on a closed polyline , it just causes it to give you the "move" selection handle.

M.

That is ridiculous! One should be able to edit a spline much easier than that, spline editing is a key function of a CAD program.

Maybe you don't get it. I have had situations where I have had 10 points very close together and I only need two points. I used the area subtraction tool. Another way is the filet tool.

BTW, how does acad do it?

Nicinus........From the sound of what you are wanting to do gives me the impression you are (or were) a ACAD user at one time. CA is first and for most a 3D modeling program. It is so-o-o lacking in the CAD department it's unbelievable and unless a person has worked in ACAD or some other "good" cad program they won't know what I'm talking about. You don't know what you don't know. :)  I've been using the program since V10 and I've (and many others) been asking for improvements in the CAD area of CA since then. I try to do all my cad work with CA's cad, but it is so frustrating and time consuming at times. Each new version I think "maybe this one!"