Why is my PDF huge?

olyconstruction

Go to solution Solved by ShaneK,

Hi Chiefs,

So I have been working on this project (many of you will recognize it from previous posts), and I have been sending it to PDF, naturally. I was told today that the files were too big, not good for sending by e-mail or viewing from a tablet, so I tried to shrink it down. I replaced all the jpegs (showing the 3d views on the project) with view ports, because I have heard using photos really beefs up your file. When I exported to PDF the file was even bigger than before! Granted this version had a few more interior elevations than the last one. Could the elevations be my problem?

I am attaching a zipped folder with the layout file, plans used in the layout. My first PDF was 10,047 KB and the one I just exported from this Layout was 18,625.

If any one can help me find out why the PDF's are so big I would really appreciate it  :D

Thank you!

AB

KRAWCYZK.zip

• Solution

PDF programs often have a print option to lower file size. I use PDF-XChange and it has that option. Large files are common with CA & PDF

I just opened your layout and printed it to pdf, file size 18mb. Then I printed it with my "optimize" print selection and it was 9mb. 1/2 the file size.

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys! That fixed it up!

I lowered my DPI to 300 and deleted my unused pages, and I also used Foxit PDF writer which I also have on my computer. Not sure if it makes a difference which writer you use but I am sure that lowering the DPI and page count helped!

Eternal thanks to Alan "Gawdzira" Lehman, and a special eternal thanks to Shane K who has been helping me out a lot lately!

Thank you sincerely, 

AB

Alan I have been using 300dpi to store and email. I do not notice any difference and do not know the difference in file size but wanted to keep it low due to how they bloat chief. Not from personal experience but from what I have read on this forum. I figured I would follow the advice offered. I guess it would make a difference if PDF was a picture and now thinking about it more its mostly lines and text so I am wondering if I could go less.