Controlling Where Dimensions Measure From

Quinkles

Hello Everyone,

I am using x5 Premier and was just recently asked by one of our builders to make my exterior dimensions read from the OSB sheathing instead of the stud.  I found what I thought to be the solution by changing the wall specification so that the dimensions would now read from the OSB, but then some of my interior dimensions were then also modified and now read from the drywall inside.  The frustrating part is I want to keep my interior dimensions on the studs, but I cant even force the dimensions to grab the stud anymore, they only hit the drywall.

So all of that to say, is there a way to have the best of both worlds and have the exterior dimensions read form the OSB, and have the interior dimensions stay on the stud?

Also just wanted to throw out there that I changed the wall specification after I had the house completely done, would that make an difference if I make that change before I start drawing the house? 

Thanks so much for your help!

post-1476-0-17467900-1400781923_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Hello Everyone,

I am using x5 Premier and was just recently asked by one of our builders to make my exterior dimensions read from the OSB sheathing instead of the stud.  I found what I thought to be the solution by changing the wall specification so that the dimensions would now read from the OSB, but then some of my interior dimensions were then also modified and now read from the drywall inside.  The frustrating part is I want to keep my interior dimensions on the studs, but I cant even force the dimensions to grab the stud anymore, they only hit the drywall.

So all of that to say, is there a way to have the best of both worlds and have the exterior dimensions read form the OSB, and have the interior dimensions stay on the stud?

Also just wanted to throw out there that I changed the wall specification after I had the house completely done, would that make an difference if I make that change before I start drawing the house? 

Thanks so much for your help!

attachicon.gifWall Specification.PNG

Doug another one!!!!!!

• Downvote 1

I can't seem to replicate your problem.  Changing the Dimension To line in the wall definition dbx changes the exterior walls, but my interior walls still dimension to the stud and not the drywall.

As is repeated ad-nauseum here, POST THE PLAN.  Close Chief, zip the plan, and upload in your response.

Not sure how I was supposed to know that seeing as this is the first time I posted anything on here, but thanks for the heads up

You are not suppose to know anything since you are new,  but if you had looked at the very first topic in the section where you posted the question,  there is a thread that gives some advice on how to get good answers.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/23-how-to-get-good-answers-when-you-ask-questions/

BTW,  the only person grumpier than Bryce is me.  Everybody else is very nice to the newbies.

• Upvote 1

I think you are doing it right.  If you change the "dimension to this line" in the wall type, the program looks like it will dimension to the sheathing the way you want it. I could not see a case where this changed any interior walls.  I did see a couple of interior walls that were dimensioning to the drywall before the change though so maybe this is what confused you.  Try checking your dimensions before and after the change to see if you really are seeing something I did not.

Also, I think you should check your spelling because I don't think you meant "girter truss".

I think you are wrong.  Ron is grumpier then both of you.

Again I am wrong,  yes,  Ron is probably the grumpiest of the grumpy......  but think about it.....  he has had about 83 years to  practice,  not as much as JC,  but pretty darn close.

Again I am wrong, yes, Ron is probably the grumpiest of the grumpy...... but think about it..... he has had about 83 years to practice, not as much as JC, but pretty darn close.

The only reason I can claim so many years is that I doubled up (16 hour work days) :o:rolleyes:B)

BTW Scott, We only had 3 players on my team in the golf tournament last week (the day before the fires) so we had to take turns taking a shot for the missing fourth (I invited you but ...). Anyway, our average age was 72 (67, 72, 77) with me in the middle. We won low net with a 64 (gross 72) so I can finally say I've shot my age!!! :D

I am absolutely outraged -- OUTRAGED, I tell you -- that my name has not been invoked in connection with grumpiness. There may pretenders to the title of "curmudgeon", but only one original.

Finally the true curmudgeon reclaims his title.  Richard,  what took you so long?  I was letting this ride but all along I knew that Richard Morrison was the true  "curmudgeon".

ok, I thought it was Ron, but I just forgot,

P.,  you are getting old,  Richard has been the true curmudgeon since day one.  

Hey P.,  are you busy?  I assume you are.  You probably have not been slow for 20 years,  you got your clients and they keep you busy.  I got to say,  this is the newest "wave".  Things are going gang busters down here.  If this "wave" goes on for another 5 years plus,  I will be set up to enjoy life.

Not as busy as it has been here, but I'm just one person and only so much time in the day so it's easy to keep me busy.   Hey, I found out I have a nephew from my brother ,who is a lot older than I, My brother was in the air force back in 1963 in North Carolina and had a baby with his wife, I also didn't know about. He found me doing an Ancestry check. H wants to fly us out there next month (1st class) for a visit. It's a little scary not knowing anything about them but might do it. He was crying on the phone b/c he found us. Who would have thought? oh ,and BTW my brother is dead now.