CAD Default Text style?

buzzsaw204

Go to solution Solved by CJSpud,

hi

where can i change this text style?

what layer is this in??

thanks,

A great question,  I will try to answer,  but I could be wrong. 

The only  purpose of this is to define THE FORMAT  (I.E.  inches or feet or meters) that will be displayed if you have selected  A LINE and you want some text associated with the line that will tell you the length of said line and THE BEARINGS of said line.

You will be able to control the text size based on the layer the line is on,  but the FORMAT is fixed  (I.E.  inches or feet or meters).

I do not use this,  I think it has very limited usages,  it is confusing and blah blah blah,  IOW,  get a life and do not worry about this.......  however,  Michael or Glenn may espouse some info that I do not know.

I am glad you asked the question,  you and I just might learn something new.

The best usage of this would be to define the property line lengths and bearings.   Think about it,  it will show the length of the pl in meters or feet or inches and it will show the bearings in one of 4 optional display formats and you can control the size of the info,  but the display units are now defined for any other lines you might want to use this for.

Does anybody else employ this feature?  And if so,  what do you use is for?

>where can i change this text style?

I assume you are talking about font and size. Text is based on layer and each layer can have own text style. (Ignoring RichText)

Thus first define new layer e.g. "Text CAD, bearings"  and then define new appropriate text style e.g. "Text, CAD, bearings Style"  .

I think the font is defined by the layer the line is on.

Yep. Text style is defined by layer settings. And I believe you are correct. There is no way to define the dimension format for individual lines or groups of lines. Any change to the dimension style affects ALL displayed lengths and angles throughout the plan.

It's important to note that the Display Line Length Format setting only applies to lines that have Show Length and Show Angle checked.

Also, the Display Line Length Format setting is view specific.

ie, it can be set independently for floor plans (different on each floor), elevations (different in each elevation.

...Also, the Display Line Length Format setting is view specific.

ie, it can be set independently for floor plans (different on each floor), elevations (different in each elevation.

Interesting. I've never noticed this behavior before. I'll have to test when I get back to my computer but if what you're saying is true, I wonder...could the settings also be set differently for each CAD detail?

• Solution

Per Scott, etc., click on "Define" to change the units.

If you really only want to change the "Text Style", the image below and the red arrows leads you through the process:

post-191-0-11124700-1466989881_thumb.jpg

You can make as many unique text styles as you want by copying and renaming the default text style (or any of the other saved text styles that come with Chief) and then editing the font, font height and other characteristics as desired.

Interesting. I've never noticed this behavior before. I'll have to test when I get back to my computer but if what you're saying is true, I wonder...could the settings also be set differently for each CAD detail?

Michael,

Yes, this setting is view specific - so you can have a different default for each CAD Detail.

Similar to the way that sun settings in 3D views are view specific - ie, per camera view.

Gotcha. That means a person could copy and paste lines to a Plan Footprint CAD detail to get different settings on the same floor plan if they wanted. Thanks Glenn, I'm gonna have to test that out tomorrow.

To answer your question Scott, It's not a feature I personally recall using but one never knows when a tool might come in handy so I figure it can't hurt to know how to use one more of those tools in the toolbox for when such a circumstance might arise.

I imagine if I had to draw up more plot plans I might make pretty heavy use of it. Not something I've had to do very often though.