Synergy

Compatibility Between MAC & PC

Hi, Can anyone tell me if its possible to share or use the same files across MAC & PC? Is the plan and layout files the same format/file type?

We currently are using windows PC but are considering adding a MAC in the mix.

Are there any issues with using both MAC and PC?
Can we share the same plan and layout files, library, etc between PC and MAC? or do we need separate files for each?

Cheers

David

Chief Architect Premier X7

Chief Architect Premier X8

Ok Thanks.

Just to clarify, if I open a file on the MAC and later someone else needs to open the same file on a PC, it will work fine?

Ok Thanks.

Just to clarify, if I open a file on the MAC and later someone else needs to open the same file on a PC, it will work fine?

Yes

So you both are saying there should be no problem, correct?

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. We store everything on a cloud server. I cannot share my file between the Mac and PC using this server. Is there any other options or maybe something I am doing wrong?

Right now I have to download the file onto a flash drive to take back and forth between the computers.

You may see some minor differences because of fonts.  Fonts can vary from one computer to the next even on a windows machine but they may be more noticeable when going back and forth between mac and windows.

• Downvote 1

On 12/13/2016 at 5:33 PM, BrownDevelopment said:

I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. We store everything on a cloud server. I cannot share my file between the Mac and PC using this server. Is there any other options or maybe something I am doing wrong?

Right now I have to download the file onto a flash drive to take back and forth between the computers.

I use dropbox as my cloud service provider. I use a macbook pro and desktop pc to access the files from dropbox. No issues at all. I think your issue might be the sever your using. The cloud is the cloud and you should be able to access files from anywhere or anything. If you can access other file types between the two computers then idk. Good luck!

On 12/13/2016 at 2:33 PM, BrownDevelopment said:

You need a cloud server that also stores a copy of the files on your local drive - more of  a sync service.  My office setup Sharepoint and it was a real hassle until we started using the corresponding Onedrive module since Chief's Layout files need to access "plan" files freely.  Most other modern apps I use allow linking of file data through the web, but Chief doesn't do this at all....it must be local.

You should be able to use just the "plan" files though.

I have opened both plan and layout files that were created on Mac on my PC. No issues at all.

Where you can see the difference is in Layout files. On the Mac - particular layout box was one (1) line longer I believe due to font differences.

So what Mr Dermot said is 100% valid. The concern goes away once a PDF is generated out of layout. Pdf works well across platforms.

I do not own mac, but overall I was impressed how well chief runs on Macs.