Recessed Doors

timmy123

Hi,

I am trying to create the recessed doors like the one in the attached image. I tried creating another room with invisible outer wall and vary the height but id didn't quite work out. The room above it ended up having varying floor heights. Can some one let me know how to do it?

Thanks,

Tim

Yes, I think almost everyone here knows how.

It's just a matter of making the walls return back to where the doors are.

Hi Joe, can you elaborate what you mean by "turn back to where the doors are" ?

I used Perry and Ralt's idea of increasing the width of the wall/stucco but then I get other issues like framing, room not showing up correctly, I can only think that it would also create problems in total floor area...

Is there any other way to do this?

Hi Glenn all,

Looks like I have got going on the recessed doors by increasing the width of the stucco and placing a door within. However I can't make the doors swing outside as soon as I make it swing outside the door moves towards the outer part of the wall. I also I have a header in the middle of the french door.  

Please see the attached pictures. 

Hi Glen, I will try out your idea by using an invisible wall on the front of the door and lowering its ceiling height to get the recessed effect from the top.

I appreciate all the tips.

post-734-0-55600900-1399446390_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-77327300-1399446398_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about recessed doors and thick walls. I see this as a perfectly normal construction where the "living area" opens onto a balcony, so just use normal walls.

A balcony is just another room to Chief, except that it has a railing in place of the wall, ( when a room is designated as a balcony it does stuff like adding a tiled floor, and it will also take on different optical properties when rendering). If you use this construction your door can be made to open outwards just as long as the balcony is deep enough.

You can use double doors or two singles, if you use two make sure you designate WINDOW SEPARATION as zero ( Edit/ Default settings/windows....minimum separation= zero)

Added later

I should have looked more closely at Glens thread, I more or less agree. I do not see the point of having those huge secret rooms though, why not just open them up. and use the space, just add balconies and make sure the room height is the same for all your rooms on the same floor.