Corner Cabinet Question

Joe_Carrick

I've been working on a Countertop Area listing macro.  It's fairly easy to get the areas except for corner conditions or cabinets that are not just rectangles.

So my question is:

How do you handle the corner condition?

1.  Blind Corner Cabinet?

2.  Lazy Susan or Angled Front Cabinet (Actual Corner Cabinet)?

3.  Blank Space?

Using #1 the WxD calculates the area correcly.

Using #2 the WxD calculates extra area

Using #3 ignores the corner.

Custom Countertops have an area attribute but it's not consistently accurate unless created separately from the Cabinets.

I've been working on a Countertop Area listing macro. It's fairly easy to get the areas except for corner conditions or cabinets that are not just rectangles.

So my question is:

How do you handle the corner condition?

1. Blind Corner Cabinet?

2. Lazy Susan or Angled Front Cabinet (Actual Corner Cabinet)?

3. Blank Space?

Using #1 the WxD calculates the area correcly.

Using #2 the WxD calculates extra area

Using #3 ignores the corner.

Custom Countertops have an area attribute but it's not consistently accurate unless created separately from the Cabinets.

We almost always use the 2nd scenario...Full "L" shaped corner cabinet (with bifold doors). We will occasionally use a blind corner though and every once in a while there is a blank space with either of those methods. Almost never use an angled corner cabinet though.

Interesting answers. 

I do use angled corners - but usually for Recycle Bins.  It wastes a little space in the cabinet but not much more than a Lazy Susan would.  Sometimes I put a Trash Compactor in an angled Front.  Of course in that case it really isn't a cabinet but there is a Counter Top.

I never use the "L" Corner Cabinet with bi-fold doors.  Every one I've ever seen had a problem with the doors getting out of adjustment.

A 36" Lazy Susan with full inset doors would be OK but I don't do much full inset cabinetry.

It depends on the kitchen I just did a layout for a customer and used Lazy Susan for corners and it calculated all the area right. I'm not sure what it does for blind corner, I assume that when the cabinets connect it will calculate they entire corner ( I haven't checked with that) But I will when I get back. If not, I guess have to use custom counter in that situation as well, because blind corner cabinets sometimes do go allaway to the wall and positioned 3" give or take back.

If the angled front used, I  use custom countertop macro separate from regular (is what I been doing). But the only time angled front is used if you have a corner window and sink will be going there, but I guess corner cabinet can be used in that situation as well just have to note to the cabinet guy its an angled corner.

But here is an image with Lazy Susan it looks like the corner cabinet calculated the whole corner.

post-4069-0-03587300-1458676256_thumb.jpg

Interesting answers. 

I do use angled corners - but usually for Recycle Bins.  It wastes a little space in the cabinet but not much more than a Lazy Susan would.  Sometimes I put a Trash Compactor in an angled Front.  Of course in that case it really isn't a cabinet but there is a Counter Top.

I never use the "L" Corner Cabinet with bi-fold doors.  Every one I've ever seen had a problem with the doors getting out of adjustment.

A 36" Lazy Susan with full inset doors would be OK but I don't do much full inset cabinetry.

In some cases you have to use bi-fold doors, or you will end up with a very narrow door specially with a 33" corners like in my case.

I have a hi end brand that uses Soss hinges between the doors solves the adjustment problem but pricey.

For susans, when I can I use the in attached video-doors that fold in and revolve. Have had one in my house for over a decade. Can be used on both frameless full overlay and inset- not good for framed overlay IMO.

I won't give the ones with fixed doors that revolve to people with little kids- too many damaged finger reports.