Newbie With Newbie Questions

nancylee02

Hi, I'm thinking about switching to ChiefArchitect and am trying out the program to see if it can do everything that I currently use ArchiCad to do. So I have a few basic questions that I'm sure will be easy to answer.

1. How do I get lines to show up in different colors on screen? 1/2 my job is drawing metal panel clip/connection details and I really need to be able to tell the difference between objects, but so far I can only get lines to show up just black.

2. Is there a way to ghost levels? in AC I could place an image on a lower level and then go up a level and trace over the image as a quick way to get a plan or detail started. Can I do this in CA?

3. In AC I could build furniture using normally sized wood objects. I would design the piece in 3D and then set up plans/elevations to make the shop dwgs. Can I do this in CA?

I've got more questions but nap time is over and I must return to my full time job. :)

thank you for your help,

Nancy

1. Any line/object can be placed on a separate layer and colored to your liking and that layer turned on/off to show what you would like.

2. Chief has reference Layers that you can set up to show an object/image on a lower/upper floor and trace.

3. Chief has a much more limited set of tools for 3D model furniture building than ArchiCad. It's doable but can be difficult depending on the complexity of the object.

I've used both AC and Chief since the 90s. Probably 50/50 right now. In general, you should use the program which meets your needs best. From what you've described you are looking for, Chief may be a downgrade. Color is no problem, but Trace Reference in AC is WAY more powerful and flexible than reference layers. For things like furniture building, AC has morphs, very malleable walls and beams, and 3D tools that Chief does not have. You can probably get there in Chief, but you are likely to be looking at Sketchup and Chief together to do what AC can do on its own.

Being honest, CA 3D shape model tools aren't very good at all - hands down the worse in any of the apps i've tried.  I'm hoping this changes soon, but as much and I miss those tools in other  apps i've come from (Vectorworks) CA is much faster and easier in many more complex things.  For me its been worth it.

Being honest, CA 3D shape model tools aren't very good at all - hands down the worse in any of the apps i've tried.  I'm hoping this changes soon, but as much and I miss those tools in other  apps i've come from (Vectorworks) CA is much faster and easier in many more complex things.  For me its been worth it.

I always appreciate Johnny's input,  it is unbiased and it typically comes from his experience with other programs.   Thanks JPC.