Footing Display Question

HumbleChief

I always wondered why the footings will display differently depending on some factor I can't seem to figure out. I can usually re-draw a wall to cure it but in this plan (WAY too big to attach) I can't seem to get the footings to display consistently. The white fill on the left is how every footing is filled except for the one footing on the right corner.

If I understood why they display differently (in this plan and many times others) I might be able to fix it.

post-302-0-46097400-1398373314_thumb.png

Larry,

Can you post a small plan that demonstrates the problem?

Any manually drawn foundation wall that's not connected to form a 'room' draws with a concrete fill like the problem wall and as soon as those walls are connected to form a room the fill changes to the solid white fill. The wall is not invisible and I've drawn it 20 times in every different way I can think of but it won't 'connect' to form a room, if indeed that's the problem. May have to bail out and go with a CAD fill.

Do you have monolithic slab checked? I get that all the time until it's a room.  Do your footings have the same main layer checked. Just guessing.  I would remove that footing and attach to a good one and bring it around to connect.

Do you have monolithic slab checked? I get that all the time until it's a room.  Do your footings have the same main layer checked. Just guessing.  I would remove that footing and attach to a good one and bring it around to connect.

Thanks Perry

Yes on the MS and for some reason it won't connect as a room. I'll check the main layer and yes I've 'brought a good one around' to connect but no love. I'll probably stumble upon it but for now I'll use CAD fill and move on for the ConDocs.

Larry,

Can you post a small plan that demonstrates the problem?

i give up,  why even request this.....  "but for now I'll use CAD fill and move on for the ConDocs" ........ yep,  let's not find out what we don't know,  I just don't get this approach.......  I don't think I have ever had this problem.......  good job Larry,  stick your head in the sand....  Glenn wants to help and you don't help him help you....  I just don't get it....

i give up,  why even request this.....  "but for now I'll use CAD fill and move on for the ConDocs" ........ yep,  let's not find out what we don't know,  I just don't get this approach.......  I don't think I have ever had this problem.......  good job Larry,  stick your head in the sand....  Glenn wants to help and you don't help him help you....  I just don't get it....

Come on Scott, lighten up a little. My time is pretty precious and I posted thinking someone had had this kind of experience before and could shed some light. Apparently not and I'm over it. I don't really HAVE to have the answer but it would have been nice and AS ALWAYS I appreciate ALL the help I receive here EVERY time, this time being no exception. In this case, and in most every other case what I really need are good Con Docs, not always a perfect model. Sure I could spend hours trying to get a plan that showed this behavior in the few instances I've seen it or trying to reduce the size of the model and zipping it but those hours would not be worth it - to me.

My head is not in the sand, conversely it is focused on the job at hand - producing ConDocs - and I posted to see if there was anyone who had this experience before and could offer a quick fix. I don't have the time to pursue it any further but as always I appreciate the help and if I discover the problem I'll post the solution. Think about it - hours (I've already spent a lot of time on this) pursuing the perfect model or minutes with a simple CAD box? We each have different methods and different priorities and mine must lean towards the quicker fix at this point knowing the state and schedule of this project.

"Another possibility is there is a room at level one that has a lowered floor."

That's a great suggestion. When I get back to the plan I'll check it out.

Larry,

I have seen this numerous times but only w/ SOG room defs on the floor above AND the foundation was originally built automatically. I usually have to delete the auto-built foundation & build the floor manually to clear that problem up. Copy/paste/hold position is a life-saver.

Jim, I have also seen some problems lately with Auto-foundations where they slow down the program a lot, especially slabs. I have a ticket in now. I usually start off using auto-foundation, then turn it off but it is causing some problems lately. I will let everyone know what Chief says.