MRLS and Anno Sets for rookies

SNestor

I've been trying to understand layer and anno sets...and how they relate to the reference layer set.  Thanks to Scott Halls videos...I think I have at least a basic understanding on how to create and use these powerful tools.     

Just wondering...all through Scott's videos related to anno sets and the MRLS he states "Chief...fix this".  I'm wondering if Chief did fix it? 

- When you select an anno set...will the reference layer set also change? 

- When you double click on a view in layout...will Chief take you to the plan with the anno set assigned to the view selected...or does it replace the anno set with a temporary set (as shown in a number of Scott's videos...)

Also, if you create a bunch of layer and anno sets in a plan file...are these related just to that plan file, or...are they saved somewhere so they can be re-used in the next plan file?  Maybe you have to import them into the new plan file?  I'm asking because I haven't got that far yet.

Thanks

I've been trying to understand layer and anno sets...and how they relate to the reference layer set.  Thanks to Scott Halls videos...I think I have at least a basic understanding on how to create and use these powerful tools.     

Just wondering...all through Scott's videos related to anno sets and the MRLS he states "Chief...fix this".  I'm wondering if Chief did fix it? 

- When you select an anno set...will the reference layer set also change? 

In plan, you must select the reference set you want

- When you double click on a view in layout...will Chief take you to the plan with the anno set assigned to the view selected...or does it replace the anno set with a temporary set (as shown in a number of Scott's videos...)

X6   When double clicked, it will take you to the correct anno-set and layerset and reference set. Now,you must set the reference set in the layout box view DBX under plan view. It works great.           

Also, if you create a bunch of layer and anno sets in a plan file...are these related just to that plan file, or...are they saved somewhere so they can be re-used in the next plan file?  Maybe you have to import them into the new plan file?  I'm asking because I haven't got that far yet.

No, they are just for that plan unless you save it as a template plan to use again and again, or use the SAM method like Scott does.

Thanks

You might like Scott's "save as" method.  SAM is what he calls it.

Essentially, you never begin a new plan using a profile plan, but just go new by scrubbing your existing one and going from there.  Re-name, re-link, and you are good to go.  That way all your defaults, layersets, annosets, even CAD details, are all there for you right up front.

Lots of videos on SAM, on Scott's YouTube channel.  Good luck.

You might like Scott's "save as" method.  SAM is what he calls it.

Essentially, you never begin a new plan using a profile plan, but just go new by scrubbing your existing one and going from there.  Re-name, re-link, and you are good to go.  That way all your defaults, layersets, annosets, even CAD details, are all there for you right up front.

Lots of videos on SAM, on Scott's YouTube channel.  Good luck.

I'm not sure if there any on the YouTube channel. The first set are on CHIEFTUTOR.COM, and I think there are more on the old chief site, just do a search using key words. SAM VIDEOS BY DSH.