Hardware with Chief in mind?

ACADuser

Looking at this part list for my first attempt at a build your own computer.

So for you hardware nerds,

Any parts that you would suggest changing.

I was trying to stay under $1600

Base Total: $1425.09         Promo Discounts: -$5.00         Mail-in Rebates: -$60.00         Total: $1360.09

No mouse yet but I am used to my old MS 5 button Laser Mouse, Lot of the new ones are too small for my hand.

PS I already own a  Samsung 850 PRO 500GB with Windows 7 Pro  on it in my old computer which will be my primary drive.

Component        Selection                Base        Promo        Shipping    Tax    Price    Where            
CPU    Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor      $328.99     $328.99                     SuperBiiz

CPU Cooler     Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9
        CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler         $35.98     ($10.00)    $25.98             OutletPC

Motherboard    MSI Z97A GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150         $179.89                             OutletPC

Memory    Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB)
         DDR3-1866 Memory                $99.99             FREE            $99.99 Newegg

Storage    Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid
        Internal Hard Drive                $89.88                         $89.88 OutletPC

Video Card    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC
            ACX 2.0+ Video Card            $229.99     ($20.00)    FREE        $209.99    Newegg
                                    $20.00 mail-in rebate    
Case    Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case            $129.99     ($10.00)    FREE        $119.99     Newegg
                                    $10.00 mail-in rebate    
Power Supply    Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified
         Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply        $79.99     ($25.00)    FREE        $54.99     Newegg
                            + USD $5 off w/ promo code EMCAVNR23, ends 7/30    
                                    $20.00 mail-in rebate    
Optical Drive    Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD
            Writer                    $18.75                         $18.75 OutletPC

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit)        $131.65                     $131.65     OutletPC

Keyboard    Thermaltake eSPORTS Meka G1 Wired
            Gaming Keyboard            $99.99                     $99.99 Mechanical Keyboards

A 250GB SSD for the os and programs

You already have the os on your old comp. Use it if retiring old comp.   Win 10 is free next week.

Some will suggest more ram and perhaps the 970 or 980 video card too.  Have the 970 myself ,and wish CA took more advantage of it but I hope that changes in newer versions of CA.

Thanks for the tips

I forgot to mention that i already have a Samsung 850 PRO 500GB in my existing computer & it helps but it is SATA II so the new mother board will help there.

The Disk shown above will be the DATA storage & the SSD will have Windows & CA & Autocad on it, along with their critical files.

I am running Windows 7 Pro currently.

I don't have the original disk as the computer was a Dell and I would like a clean install to clean the crap out of the registry.

Maybe I don't need to worry about that, just plug the SSD with Windows 7 in it and start the new computer.

Will definitely max out the RAM & look into the VID card.

you can't boot on a new motherboard , with the old install of Win7 , at least YMMV as Win7 will need to install new drivers and possibly fail. Just download the Win7 ISO for your version and use the current CD KEY you have..... if activation fails, phone in and explain you had a computer crash and just installed on a new motherboard and HD, ie you only have 1 install on that  CD key.

Don't forget to backup all your files to an external 1st. or even the new HD when it arrives 1st.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

I don't think you can just install your old SSD in the new computer without re-format and install windows again b/c all the hardware is different with different config's, so IMO, it won't work. Your better off with a new install using that old SSD anyway.  you also could be looking for trouble down the road.