Garage Is In The Way Of The Veiw I Want

builtright3

Removing garage so I can view house without it being in the way:

Ok, I found that if I shut off the ceiling surfaces that it went away. So I put all the walls and roof on its own layer and shut off the ceiling surfaces and now I don't see the garage except for the slab and footing and that's ok. If there is another easier way to do this though I would be open to hearing other ideas.

What Michael said.  My regular methodology is to cut up plan files by floor and/or room before my final camera views.  I can then add detail and any custom lighting for the shot.

jon

So then you have several plan sets for one job? Not sure I get that because what about when you need it as a whole and what about when you make a change? how does it change on the other sets?

HC's method works great, but Jon's method has some added benefits. You simply save "temporary" copies of the plan, SPECIFICALLY for your 3D views and nothing more. Deleting all the excess can make renderings much faster.

Yes but I don't totally understand what he is doing. I think I would need more instruction (video perhaps). Suggestions are great but without good instruction I can waist hours setting something up and also take the risk of messing up my plan files. It doesn't sound simple enough for my experience level.

Doe's that make sense?

Sorry Joey, I don't video.  However,

My method is purely for the aesthetic.  Think of what photographers do when they come to shoot a house; moving furniture around so the shot looks good, but highly impractical for living.  Well the same holds true with what I do for many camera shots; the output looks good, but may barely resemble the "plan."

1. Make a copy of the plan file and rename it something like: 200150415_MyHouse_005_Bedroom_03_v01.plan
  2. Place my rough camera views
  3. Rip out everything in the plan not visible in the camera view(s)
  4. Purge all unused materials/textures
  5. Place movable backdrops outside any windows (I use large curved panels with cutout tree lines, etc.)
  6. Add objet and other detail refinements.
  7. Place sunlight either for effect or accuracy
  8. Turn off all lights then re-add starting with sun, ray trace; UDL, ray trace, fixture ray trace; etc., etc., etc.  (I do three-pass ray traces to determine if light placement/intensity is correct)
  9. Refine final camera views.
  10. Recheck and recheck.
  11. Ray trace.

One added benefit, at least for my purposes, is that if CA isn't getting the output I'm after, the my model is pretty much ready-set-go for export to 3rd-party ray trace.

I hope that gives you some clarity re: my process.

Have fun, stay crazy,

jon

Sorry Joey, I don't video.  However,

My method is purely for the aesthetic.  Think of what photographers do when they come to shoot a house; moving furniture around so the shot looks good, but highly impractical for living.  Well the same holds true with what I do for many camera shots; the output looks good, but may barely resemble the "plan."

1. Make a copy of the plan file and rename it something like: 200150415_MyHouse_005_Bedroom_03_v01.plan
  2. Place my rough camera views
  3. Rip out everything in the plan not visible in the camera view(s)
  4. Purge all unused materials/textures
  5. Place movable backdrops outside any windows (I use large curved panels with cutout tree lines, etc.)
  6. Add objet and other detail refinements.
  7. Place sunlight either for effect or accuracy
  8. Turn off all lights then re-add starting with sun, ray trace; UDL, ray trace, fixture ray trace; etc., etc., etc.  (I do three-pass ray traces to determine if light placement/intensity is correct)
  9. Refine final camera views.
  10. Recheck and recheck.
  11. Ray trace.

One added benefit, at least for my purposes, is that if CA isn't getting the output I'm after, the my model is pretty much ready-set-go for export to 3rd-party ray trace.

I hope that gives you some clarity re: my process.

Have fun, stay crazy,

jon

Thank you Jon! That makes perfect sense.

I think both you and Larry came up with great solutions and I think both are good depending on the task at hand. At this point I just wanted to get the garage out of the way so Larry's solution works best at this time. However you opened another door in my way of thinking for more elaborate and/or just simple designs. So I'm very happy you shared with me and I will print out your instruction and learn more about ray trace, sun angle,......... I'm in the process of learning those things now so this all helps me.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

The only reason I don't do what Larry suggests is that 9 times out of 10 I'm a complete idiot and mess up my core plan file.  Any time I make temporary alterations or alterations not germane to the function of the plan, I execute said alterations on a copy--see idiot above. 

jon