Glass Fixture?

ACADuser

How would you go about creating this glass & Steel divider?

It will likely set on top of a counter top or perhaps a half wall.

Obviously it need not be exactly as shown.

Just a easy method to create & manage in the drawing.

post-2435-0-39763900-1427295675_thumb.png

A couple of Options:

1.  Panel Railing on a Pony Wall

2.  Molding Polyline with 2 moldings (one Molding Profile for the glass & and a 3D Molding Symbol for the posts)

3.  Make a 3D Symbol from  a set of Primitive Solids (Interior Furnishing) with a Stretch Plane at x=0.

Thanks Joe.

I was thinking the pony wall would be easiest to create but may not give me enough control of where the glass sets on the wall.

The 3D Symbol sounds like the most flexible option with placement & stretch ability but out of reach with my current skill level. I will attempt it if time permits.

Those molding plines are a PITA to move around on elevations but that may be the way I go first.

I understand.  Wall Fill cover's everything else.  The only way to avoid that is to change the fill in the Wall Type dbx to either "None" or a pattern that can have a transparent background.  That was one of the reasons that I suggested using a Cabinet for the Half Wall.  Of course with the cabinet you also get a Counter Top which is an added advantage.

Not sure if I am understanding the problem with not being able to edit the glass symbol in plan. Here I used a Pass-Through and a Doorway to make the opening and the glass symbol shows in plan sitting on the wall below. I used a p-solid for the ledge.

post-571-0-80030300-1427312305_thumb.jpg

Alan, Try this one.  It's just a single section but it can be stretched both length and height.  You can superimpose multiple sections so the columns are co-incident as needed.

Nice job JC.  Now for those of you who want 2 panels and 3 posts,  simply take JC's symbol,  over lap the center post,  turn into NEW SYMBOL with new locations of cut planes.....  but I am sure everybody already knew that....... 

Nice job JC.  Now for those of you who want 2 panels and 3 posts,  simply take JC's symbol,  over lap the center post,  turn into NEW SYMBOL with new locations of cut planes.....  but I am sure everybody already knew that....... 

OK. So I joined the two panels together, as described, but the Convert to Symbol tool is grey out. Care to give a hint? Also,  maybe elaborate on what you mean by "new location of cut planes."

OK. So I joined the two panels together, as described, but the Convert to Symbol tool is grey out. Care to give a hint? Also,  maybe elaborate on what you mean by "new location of cut planes."

I meant stretch planes,  not cut planes,  post a small plan and I will do a quick vid if you want.

I've been using Chief for it for at least since Version 9.5

Some people use SketchUp (or something similar).  In fact, I think CA uses 3DMax.  If you use one of these other programs you still have to import the Symbol into Chief and the Symbol Dialog is where you make changes to material names, origin offsets, options, stretch planes, etc.

Note that you can right click on a symbol in the Library and open the dialog right there.  Any changes you make that way will be automatically used when you place the symbol in a plan.

If I'm not mistaken it started out as 3d CAD and after the name was changed to 3d home architect and I think it was sold by Broderbund products (this going back to early 2000). I think the last version of that was 18 or something like this.and after in late 2000 Chief Architect surfaced.

With that said, if I need a quick a symbol I will make it in Chief, if I need more detailed symbol I will use sketchup, its faster, more options, better capability, etc frankly speaking it was designed for modeling. Even CA using 3d party software to make library models.