How to increase speed, reduce resource hogging? 16-core M3 Max MacBook Pro with 48GB ram is SLOW

ntiliff

I have a brand new MacBook Pro M3 Max with 16 cores, 48GB ram and 1 TB SSD. Chief is often using 50-80%+ of my RAM. It is often at 100%+ CPU utilization. How can I reduce these so it doesn't stop my computer? I have turned off ray tracing, for one thing. My plan and layout is around 100 MB, which doesn't seem huge.

Moving things around on layout (set to update on demand only) takes 10-15 seconds each. Updating a 3d rendering can take a minute. It can't raytrace more than two samples per second. This is a fast machine, this app should not be so slow. The computer is a week old. I bought it specifically to use Chief because my Intel iMac was even slower.

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.50.png

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.42.png

1 hour ago, ntiliff said:

I have a brand new MacBook Pro M3 Max with 16 cores, 48GB ram and 1 TB SSD. Chief is often using 50-80%+ of my RAM. It is often at 100%+ CPU utilization. How can I reduce these so it doesn't stop my computer? I have turned off ray tracing, for one thing. My plan and layout is around 100 MB, which doesn't seem huge.

Moving things around on layout (set to update on demand only) takes 10-15 seconds each. Updating a 3d rendering can take a minute. It can't raytrace more than two samples per second. This is a fast machine, this app should not be so slow. The computer is a week old. I bought it specifically to use Chief because my Intel iMac was even slower.

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.50.png

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.42.png

share your plan and layout file and we could tell you whats going on

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

share your plan and layout file and we could tell you whats going on

I just realized that there is something very wrong with the layout file. Looking at auto archives, it went from 150 MB to 3 GB with no major revisions. I am starting over and seeing whether that helps.

Its shouldn't be slow. I've been working with Mac + Chief for a while and I've got just an M1 MBP with 16 GB and chief works great, especially since x15 update. x16 has more bugs/crashes but it's not slower. 

A timely thread for me.  I have the MacBook Pro on order.  I should have it in a week.

I will be interested in the speed issues...

But I do need an external monitor.....

- 27" min........

-4k or 54k?

Does anybody have a suggestion for an external monitor????

1791098707_Screenshot2024-10-09at4_58_28AM.thumb.png.8c6c359ba89b6d91a43d832a84c3c471.png

2 hours ago, dshall said:

A timely thread for me.  I have the MacBook Pro on order.  I should have it in a week.

I will be interested in the speed issues...

But I do need an external monitor.....

- 27" min........

-4k or 54k?

Does anybody have a suggestion for an external monitor????

1791098707_Screenshot2024-10-09at4_58_28AM.thumb.png.8c6c359ba89b6d91a43d832a84c3c471.png

I would really encourage you to wait another month for the new M4. m3 is still a bit underwhelming in the rendering side when compared to PC

I just realized that there is something very wrong with the layout file. Looking at auto archives, it went from 150 MB to 3 GB with no major revisions. I am starting over and seeing whether that helps.

There may be nothing really "wrong" with your layout file because you have may have done something that is causing the problems.  A 3 GB layout file is ridiculously large and even a 150 MB file is probably much bigger than you need.  I just downloaded one of Chief's new sample layout files (the Saguaro) and the 21 page layout that has lots of pretty pictures and details is only 65 MB.  The largest layout file I have is less than 30 MB and most of them are even less than 15 MB.

If I was to make a guess, I would bet that you imported a lot of stuff that is taking up all that space.  Importing things like high res pictures and pdfs and setting them to "save in plan" can cause layouts to get really bloated really fast so that's the first place I would look.  The other thing that it might be would be imported cad details being stored in your layout.

So before I would start the layout over, or spend any money upgrading my hardware, I would spend some time to figure out what is taking up all that space.  Then you might be able to figure out a better way to solve these problems.