How to increase speed, reduce resource hogging? 16-core M3 Max MacBook Pro with 48GB ram is SLOW

ntiliff

I have a brand new MacBook Pro M3 Max with 16 cores, 48GB ram and 1 TB SSD. Chief is often using 50-80%+ of my RAM. It is often at 100%+ CPU utilization. How can I reduce these so it doesn't stop my computer? I have turned off ray tracing, for one thing. My plan and layout is around 100 MB, which doesn't seem huge.

Moving things around on layout (set to update on demand only) takes 10-15 seconds each. Updating a 3d rendering can take a minute. It can't raytrace more than two samples per second. This is a fast machine, this app should not be so slow. The computer is a week old. I bought it specifically to use Chief because my Intel iMac was even slower.

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.50.png

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.42.png

1 hour ago, ntiliff said:

I have a brand new MacBook Pro M3 Max with 16 cores, 48GB ram and 1 TB SSD. Chief is often using 50-80%+ of my RAM. It is often at 100%+ CPU utilization. How can I reduce these so it doesn't stop my computer? I have turned off ray tracing, for one thing. My plan and layout is around 100 MB, which doesn't seem huge.

Moving things around on layout (set to update on demand only) takes 10-15 seconds each. Updating a 3d rendering can take a minute. It can't raytrace more than two samples per second. This is a fast machine, this app should not be so slow. The computer is a week old. I bought it specifically to use Chief because my Intel iMac was even slower.

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.50.png

Screenshot 2024-10-08 at 13.07.42.png

share your plan and layout file and we could tell you whats going on

3 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

share your plan and layout file and we could tell you whats going on

I just realized that there is something very wrong with the layout file. Looking at auto archives, it went from 150 MB to 3 GB with no major revisions. I am starting over and seeing whether that helps.