mitered stairs

winterdd

On today's episode of "What in the hell is going on?" We visit a situation to where stairs, depending on their current mood of the day, will either (a) connect and mitre or (b) waste your time and never connect. Here we have three identical, i repeat identical, sets of stairs I wanna join and mitre but they aren't having it. What really is the secret in CA to make this work? Some jobs they cooperate immediately and others I have to hop on here to get your thoughts.

image.thumb.png.461235af5d6e3072d02254bb4f0d5286.pngimage.thumb.png.5b254d3f6e846299515adea0ec42854e.png

Yes, make sure that you have Allow Wrap toggled on.

As for drawing the stairs and getting them to wrap, make sure you draw them going down and not up (up is the default).

Snap the stairs to the deck edge and drag them down by using Ctrl+drag (on a mac) - maybe Alt+drag on windows.

It looks like Robert drew his stairs going down and that is why it worked so easily.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 5.36.50 pm.jpg

Well, what I had to end up doing after troubleshooting is just do polyline solids on this project. I had complete control of it this way and it came out nice.

Not that poly solids are a bad way to do this, but I still think you missed something important about the wrapped stairs.  You might want to give them another try to see what it is so that you can use them next time you need them.

As Robert shows, you need to make sure the side of the stairs stop at the corner and don't overlap each other as you show in your first picture.

As Glenn suggested, it is easier to draw the stairs going down but you can also make them work going up.  The trick to making them work when drawing them up is that the top of the stairs needs to be at the right height.  Most of the time when you draw stairs going up from a deck, the bottom of the stairs is at the top of the deck so you have to set the heights manually.

The other thing that I know can be important is the room type.  I believe porches and decks both work but most other room types won't.  It looks like your room is marked as a "porch" so this probably isn't your problem (unless you just manually changed the room name).

I think there are some other gotchas but I can't remember them at the moment.  If you can't get it to work, you should really post the plan and someone could probably tell you in a few minutes.

46 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Not that poly solids are a bad way to do this, but I still think you missed something important about the wrapped stairs.  You might want to give them another try to see what it is so that you can use them next time you need them.

As Robert shows, you need to make sure the side of the stairs stop at the corner and don't overlap each other as you show in your first picture.

As Glenn suggested, it is easier to draw the stairs going down but you can also make them work going up.  The trick to making them work when drawing them up is that the top of the stairs needs to be at the right height.  Most of the time when you draw stairs going up from a deck, the bottom of the stairs is at the top of the deck so you have to set the heights manually.

The other thing that I know can be important is the room type.  I believe porches and decks both work but most other room types won't.  It looks like your room is marked as a "porch" so this probably isn't your problem (unless you just manually changed the room name).

I think there are some other gotchas but I can't remember them at the moment.  If you can't get it to work, you should really post the plan and someone could probably tell you in a few minutes.

I agree with everything you said. Maybe the reason is that anytime else they mitered it could very well be that I was doing a deck off the back of the home. Something to definetly look into. In this case it is a porch made out of railing walls.

As far as the overlapping and making sure all three stair had identical settings, I tried all that. I even tried to connect some new stairs away from the home in blank space and still nothing.

I had one deck give me the same kind of grief - one side working and one side not. It was a single step and I had two speed bumps. One was, I had resized the deck and accidentally misaligned one edge (not quite 90 degrees). The second was the terrain made the step on one side a hair lower than the other side. It was a rather large deck  and the two steps were conceived quite a ways apart. Once I lifted up the step (flattened out the terrain) the magic happened.

3d solids would not be the best choice when abandoning the stair tool. A 3d solid will not necessarily display the correct line weight when switching between SVP's. This can lead to display errors on your con docs.

If I felt I had to abandon the stair tool, my first choice would be moldings, 2nd choice cabinets, 3rd choice slabs. All have various pros / cons. 3d solids have very few positive attributes...probably because they have so few attributes to begin with!