DORMERS

decorators3

I'm trying to create a manual dormer - my roof pitch is 5:12 . the house  is  one level 8 ft ceilings  - I'm roof plan view - draw the walls - create the hole but the walls show on the man floor not showing on the roof.. only the hole

Any suggestions

Levina

The dormer wall will need a few special adjustments. 

1. The 3 dormer wall will need a 4th, invisible wall at the back of the dormer. This will create a room just for the dormer which can have a higher ceiling.
  2. All dormer walls will need 'roof cuts wall at bottom' checked
  3. The walls may also need 'balloon through ceiling above' checked.

56 minutes ago, robdyck said:

1. The 3 dormer wall will need a 4th, invisible wall at the back of the dormer. This will create a room just for the dormer which can have a higher ceiling.

Thank you!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, decorators3 said:

Thank you!  

8 hours ago, robdyck said:

I've been at this for hours and have followed your instructions - still  don't see any walls only the hole in the roof - have tired so many  times and its just not working . is it because the roof p itch is only 5.  my ears are hurting from having my headphone on replaying the videos. ( which looks so  easy ) if  the pitch was different I could use auto dormers.. .....

I must be doing something wrong and I'll bet **** so simple I will probably tear my hair out!!!

Posted (edited)

I've added the image so you can see plan and overhead.  also attached is a picture of a dormer the client wants to have but the pitch looks higher  than 5   

He wanted a dormer to allow extra light into the room because there will be a covered deck .

I had originally installed gables over the windows but the truss guys said it would be too costly to do it that way. ( this is a reno not a new build)

if i can have a dormer open to the room great if its to be only decorative as a result of the pitch I will inform the client. 

all your advise has been great and I've done what you've suggested  - but to no avail at the moment

again I welcome your expertise

dormer issue.png

dormer idea.jpg

Edited by decorators3
sample dormer
  • Like 1

Why not use the "auto floating dormer" tool.

You will have to adjust the parameters of this tool (dbl click the icon). Since your house roof pitch is so low...you have to remember that when you use an auto dormer tool in Chief...the ridge of the dormer cannot extend above the main ridge of the roof plane you are placing it on. If so...you'll get an error message. 

Are you attempting to have a "room" for this dormer...or, is it just resting on top of the roof. If so...use the "auto floating dormer" tool. If you need a room...you'll have to build a second floor. 

What type roof do you want on the dormer...gable or shed? 

5 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

X16, house 30' wide x 24' deep, 5-pitch hipped roof, auto floating dormer, 5-pitch gable roof, 36" high wall, 24x24 window.

Screenshot 2024-08-28 082824.png

just what  I'm trying to do but in a gable roof  ,, I just cant seem to get it in x16.. is it open to the room below for light or just for decor purposes

Attached is an example plan.   Dormer Open Below Example Plan.plan

You will need a 2nd floor...but, no room definition.  Open one 2nd floor exterior wall and set this wall to have no room definition. This way...you have a 2nd floor but Chief won't build a floor...it will treat the space as an attic. However, you can draw the dormer walls now on the 2nd floor. Create a room inside the dormer...and make it open below. The dormer walls are not set to "roof cuts wall at bottom". You will need a hole in the roof plan around the dormer. I placed these on the 2nd floor...then, moved them (cut/paste) to the first floor and changed the line type to dashed. If you have to vault the first floor ceiling...well, the process is similar but more difficult. 

13 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

I don't have a second floor.  Auto floating puts the dormer walls on A (attic) level.

Perfect for skylight-type dormers or false dormers, which seems to be what's needed here.

If there is a flat ceiling...the auto floating dormer does not cut a hole into the ceiling below.

What you are describing only works if you turn the ceiling off.  

I'm not sure whether the OP wanted a ceiling or a vaulted ceiling. 

The ceiling is on.  The roof hole tool, used independently of the auto floating dormer tool, cuts a hole through the roof and the ceiling below.

The OP did not say what kind of dormer was wanted.  I presumed skylight-type and did that.

These two very experienced users above know how to create dormers using Chief.

Here is an official training video that might help you in the process just incase you haven’t seen it yet ? I would also recommend watching others in the playlist too. There are different ways to go about it.

Enjoy learning !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG1YYHJ5OGQ