RTX 4080 vs. RTX 4090

DH7777

1 hour ago, Chief_Trent said:

RayTrace is only run on the CPU so upgrading your graphics card won't impact performance in that rendering technique at all. For PBR, here is a graph comparing the performance of a bunch of different hardware including the 4080 and 4090.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/blog/computer-for-design-and-gaming/

X16-Ray-Trace-Speeds.png

In case any Mac users want to know my benchmark...

I opened the saved camera "Kitchen1" in the Nashville kitchen plan which is already set to PBR.

On my 2023 MacBook Pro with 36GB memory, 12-core CPU, 18-core GPU and 16-core Neural Engine (apple marketing terms)

500 samples takes almost 11 minutes.

However!  this is what 50 samples looks like which only takes about 30 seconds...

image.thumb.png.822d6081022debfaf6c8bfdb5cc9c431.png

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chief_Trent said:

RayTrace is only run on the CPU so upgrading your graphics card won't impact performance in that rendering technique at all. For PBR, here is a graph comparing the performance of a bunch of different hardware including the 4080 and 4090.

X16-Ray-Trace-Speeds.png

You should add the 7900XTX right above that 4080

3 hours ago, Paul454 said:

I love my Nvidia RTX 4090 Founders Edition!

I’m sure I’d love it as well. 

Could you take the time and perform the same 50 samples? 

I’m assuming you’d be less than 1 second perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 12:04 PM, Chief_Trent said:

X16-Ray-Trace-Speeds.png

So if I am reading this chart correctly. the 4080 doesn't look like its much different overall than the 4090. Or at least not something to brag about by sporting the 4090. Correct/

The exact numbers for that benchmark between the 4080 and 4090 are that the 4080 got 120.4 samples per second and the 4090 had 156.8 samples per second. To render the view with 500 samples, that is about 3 seconds for the 4090 verses about 4 seconds for the 4080. Roughly a 25% performance increase for the 4090 above the 4080 in this case. There is a difference between the two, but it is a much smaller difference compared to other graphics card options. For example a 4070 in that benchmark got 70 samples per second.

(The testing benchmark was 500 samples in Chief Architect Premier X16 at the time of release using the “Nashville Kitchen”)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chief_Trent said:

The exact numbers for that benchmark between the 4080 and 4090 are that the 4080 got 120.4 samples per second and the 4090 had 156.8 samples per second. To render the view with 500 samples, that is about 3 seconds for the 4090 verses about 4 seconds for the 4080. Roughly a 25% performance increase for the 4090 above the 4080 in this case. There is a difference between the two, but it is a much smaller difference compared to other graphics card options. For example a 4070 in that benchmark got 70 samples per second.

(The testing benchmark was 500 samples in Chief Architect Premier X16 at the time of release using the “Nashville Kitchen”)

It would be helpful to know if this was camera number 2 and what resolution for the rendering window. I have duplicate systems with one having a 7900XTX and the other a RTX 4090. I could give an apples to apples

I believe the original benchmarks were Nashville, Kitchen 1 at 1400x860 (don't ask me why, we were profiling the Mac at the time and I'm pretty sure this was the resolution I got by default on an MBP).  Please bear in mind that the numbers Trent posted were from a specific build relatively early on in X16 and that exact samples/sec in the current version may have changed somewhat since then.

14 minutes ago, Ryan-M said:

I believe the original benchmarks were Nashville, Kitchen 1 at 1400x860 (don't ask me why, we were profiling the Mac at the time and I'm pretty sure this was the resolution I got by default on an MBP).  Please bear in mind that the numbers Trent posted were from a specific build relatively early on in X16 and that exact samples/sec may in the current version may have changed somewhat since then.

Assuming this was 3/4 bounces and not "approximate.."
at that resolution i clocked 140 samples per second on the 7900 XTX and about the same as your reported value around 155 for the 4090 

46 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Assuming this was 3/4 bounces and not "approximate.."

Yes.

46 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

at that resolution i clocked 140 samples per second on the 7900 XTX and about the same as your reported value around 155 for the 4090 

This is good to know, we don't have that card in-house.