Dialog boxes popping up on all object selects

Don_Proven

Go to solution Solved by BenPalmer,

Hi Community,

I'm getting this weird condition in Chief 16 where any selecting of objects in the Cad window I'm editing opens the dialog box for that object. So if I try and click on a line to drag or move it, or a box, or pretty much and object in the drawing, the dialog box opens instead, which then has to be closed to do any work. Sometimes, if I hold my tongue just right, or zoom in so tight that I'm looking at individual pixels, I can do some drawing edits. This is a new thing that has just occurred today. And it's driving me nuts. I think I have gone thru all the various defaults and preferences to check if I did something (operator error is mostly likely cause) but can't locate anything.

I'm using Windows 11 Home on a new Dell XPS 15: Processor    13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900H   2.60 GHz. Installed RAM    64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable). System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor running Chief Premier X16

Any help would be appreciated,

Don

Maybe it's a mouse problem?  If your left click was really doing a double-click, then it would open the dialog instead of selecting the object.  Try a different mouse or take a look at your mouse settings.

• Upvote 1

I had a Magic Trackpad that was B/T to my computer and it had something barely pressing on it.  I was flummoxed for a bit until I cleared my desk and the problem went away.  Now that trackpad has the batteries removed (just as a precaution)

what about the trackpad, does it have the same behaviour? and if you try in a different program that uses double clicks in a different manner from a single click?

I'm with dbcooper, sounds like your left click is configured to double click.

Logitech mice are notorious for developing a double click over time..I've warrantied several of them over the years for this issue..to the point I have a couple backups ready to go.  Just a thought.

Hey Ben,

Yeah it's a Logitech M720. I did try a wired mouse from a colleuge and it seems to mostly work. It's an ancient spare wired one so is pretty terrible lol.

On 7/31/2024 at 5:14 PM, BenPalmer said:

Logitech mice are notorious for developing a double click over time..I've warrantied several of them over the years for this issue..to the point I have a couple backups ready to go.  Just a thought.

• Solution

Yeah, I love Logitech mice, but that is there main issue...their new switches are supposed to be better at not developing that issue...hopefully purchasing a new M720 or mouse of your liking takes care of the issue for you.  I use a Logitech G502 (have the wired and wireless versions)...FYI

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 11:11 AM, BenPalmer said:

Yeah, I love Logitech mice, but that is there main issue...their new switches are supposed to be better at not developing that issue...hopefully purchasing a new M720 or mouse of your liking takes care of the issue for you.  I use a Logitech G502 (have the wired and wireless versions)...FYI

Thanks Ben,

I think that's the main issue. In the meantime, I've reconfigured the mouse to the right button, but it took some getting used to!