Benchmark nail in a tree???

mtldesigns

I have this house on pilings that I just finished and waiting for the survey to make sure the living area was above Base Floor Elevation, I finally got it today.  I understand the NAVD88 and all, the part that is confusing me is not really understanding the grade elevation where the proposed home will be built.  My BFE is 19.00' that is understandable, but I am scratching my head that they say the Benchmark Nail is in a 12" dia. palm tree at 9.0'.  Don't trees grow in height?  Or is this at the base?  First time I have seen this.  

Screenshot 2024-06-29 200552.png

Screenshot 2024-06-29 200625.png

Personally I don't like seeing anything nailed to a tree but for some reason surveyors seem to do it without hesitation.  I guess they don't understand how trees grow or even how you make lumber or firewood but anyway it seems to happen.  I am certainly not an expert but it seems the nail is likely somewhere they could reach to without a ladder and at even 10' below the requested elevation which is based on sea level and not local ground level.  I think most species of trees grow in height from the top and not the base, the base just increases in diameter as the top grows in height. Likely just a temporary marker anyway that is not intended to be used next year.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you, I don't like seeing things nailed to them either.  I actually saw a outdoor light mounted to a tall tree a couple weeks ago, had conduit right up the side.  and that same house had a outdoor chandelier hanging off a limb.  Fancy peeps!

Your probably right on the growth thing, I am not an expert either.  But if your putting a nail in a tree, why not just put a pin in the ground?  In a tree that might grow in height "some", why dimension to the hundredths of an inch, lol?  No worries though, the plan is good, we are well above the BFE.  

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Likely just a temporary marker anyway that is not intended to be used next year.

I think your right here too, was just put there to verify the elevation of the house, and when it's built, and verified it will be ignored.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:
2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Likely just a temporary marker anyway that is not intended to be used next year.

I think your right here too, was just put there to verify the elevation of the house, and when it's built, and verified it will be ignored.  

When you are done with it don't just ignore it.  Yank it out and the tree might have a chance to heal and continue on with it's life. Transfer the elevation to a permanent location if there is one better than the tree.

• Like 1

Its referred to as a "TBM" for "temporary benchmark". It may be used as an elevation reference point for surveying before, during, and after construction, as well as for the builder to reference during construction. After that, it's pretty much irrelevant.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

1 hour ago, RobDesLLC said:

temporary benchmark

I am curious and with the insurance industry going crazy down here on the coast, changing the flood elevations it seems yearly, could this be something that might bite some ones tush in let say 10 years.  I know the company we use, the one Jake used to star in the commercials, now will not insure your home its older than I believe 40 yrs. old, no matter the condition.  Even if you had them the whole time, they just don't renew your policy.  If the elevations change, and now for example in ten yrs, your first floor is in the flood zone could your house be un-insurable?