Amd Video Card Help Lines Disappear At Various Zoom Levels

VisualDandD

I know that chief likes Nvidia cards but I had a R9280x toxic card lying around (which is a pretty fast card) so I decided to install it.

It is VERY fast compared to my GTX660 I had previously installed.   No issues except for one and hoping some here might have a solution.

In elevation view, I losing CAD lines at various levels of zoom. Does not seem to drop lines in floor plan view.  

Eg as I zoom in and out they disappear and re-appear.  They also seem to change line weight (even with line weight display off).

Any ideas of where to start.  I played with the settings in AMD catalyst control, but none seemed to make an impact.  Hoping someone else has had this and solved it.

i74790k @ 4.4ghz

z97 gaming 5 motherboard

24gb ram

R9280x Toxic by Sapphie 3GB GDDR5 (UEFI)

I would try different versions of the Catalyst Drivers , some my work better than others , Nvidia had some bad drivers for a while too related to colors etc, so you had to pick and choose.

M.

Just tried dialing though all the drivers I could find.   All act the same.

Only in elevation mode.   CAD lines disappear in and out as you zoom.  Sometimes getting larger (like higher line weight) and sometimes disappearing.

Ugh.... Everything went so great with this build, I was pretty happy.   

Maybe a call into tech support?....Anybody else have any ideas.  (except for getting a GTX 970 ;) )

Post the plan with the issue , with the camera saved so I can check on GTX970  BEFORE your buy one   :)

Guru3D is a good place to find Older Drivers too

http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

note I found this about 4 days after buying my 970 , still not sure if I have a real issue or not ( don't do any high res gaming)

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

Post the plan with the issue , with the camera saved so I can check on GTX970  BEFORE your buy one   :)

Guru3D is a good place to find Older Drivers too

http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-ati-catalyst-vista-win-7.html

note I found this about 4 days after buying my 970 , still not sure if I have a real issue or not ( don't do any high res gaming)

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

Tried on any plan.  Even a new one.   Go to elevation/crossection view, draw a few cad lines and zoom in and out and they appear/disappear (and change line weights).   What chief renders is NOT affected....just cad lines on crossection views. 

Is the 970 not worth getting?  Hell, if I dont get this figured out, I dont want to screw around, but I considering my box is built well, I wanted to put a nice card in (without trying to go up to the 980 for $200 more and not much more performance.   The 970 is a smoking fast card and not too expensive for what it does. 

No lost / line weight issues with CAD lines on my G1 GTX970 that I can see , you may get more responses tomorrow during the work week , think I have seen Doug Park comment on issues like this before too.

Since I am only running 3 x 23" monitors via Displayport off the G1 @1920x1080 , I am not sure the 3.5GB limit will be reached with Chief , though I can't really tell as my old MB is only PCIE2 capable and is running 12gb of PC1600 (12800) memory and an i7-950 CPU so I think I have other bottlenecks anyway. It is definitely faster than the 2x GTX470 I was running and WAY quieter and Cooler than them too, so no real regrets on my part as yet, and hopefully wont be any once I can upgrade the rest.

M

No lost / line weight issues with CAD lines on my G1 GTX970 that I can see , you may get more responses tomorrow during the work week , think I have seen Doug Park comment on issues like this before too.

Since I am only running 3 x 23" monitors via Displayport off the G1 @1920x1080 , I am not sure the 3.5GB limit will be reached with Chief , though I can't really tell as my old MB is only PCIE2 capable and is running 12gb of PC1600 (12800) memory and an i7-950 CPU so I think I have other bottlenecks anyway. It is definitely faster than the 2x GTX470 I was running and WAY quieter and Cooler than them too, so no real regrets on my part as yet, and hopefully wont be any once I can upgrade the rest.

M

Thanks man for the info.  Found a thread where the same thing was happening...and with BOTH AMD and Nvidia cards.

Tech support is aware of it, but there seems to be no fix currently if this is correct what is written in the thread.   If this is the case I am going to order the Gtx970 tomorrow.   I dont want to draw like this.   It will drive me NUTS!   To hear you are having no issues with that card is good.   It really is a beast and not much slower than the 980 and $200 cheaper.

Since I have Lumion running, I think getting the best card I can get will be beneficial.  At this point an extra $100 to go from the 960 to the 970 seems like a no-brainer.

Only thing I will miss is "Hydravision" where you can configure your desktops and split monitors.   I really was liking it.  There is a separate software for $30 called "actual multiple monitors" that people seem to like that accomplishes much of that and more.  http://www.actualtools.com/multiplemonitors/screenshots/    It also does not seem as bloated as some of the other programs that are similar.   If I go back to Nvidia, I will probably go that route. 

Check out this thread:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4016-video-card-question-or-flickering-lines/

I thought I had seen something familiar mentioned but gave up on AMD/ATI many years ago , always seemed like there are weird issues like this.

I don't think you read the Steam review of AMM  :)         http://store.steampowered.com/app/241680

there is this free one though  http://sourceforge.net/projects/dualmonitortb/

I found this in 8.1!   I remember "snap" from win 7 but I like to take my side monitor (1080) and split it into 2 vertically for 2 browsers.     Very easy to do.   Just put window on monitor, and hold windows key and hit L or R arrow.  You can even move across to a diff monitor.

That is all I need!  Thanks!!! You actually let me to it!  Try it out.   I think it works on 7 too.   I like to put my spotify window on half screen too!

Justin,

Ran your line test on my machine with GTX980 with no problems.

Thank you so much for looking at it.

I should have known better, but I was crossing my fingers with the AMD card as I already had it.

I put an order in for a gtx 970 this AM.    The 980 is quite a card!  But I was trying to stay on a budget.   The 970 Super clock ed seems like a bargain at the $340 price point.     Not bad for the 4th or 5th fastest card out.

Looks like I have more stuff for Ebay now!

Heck I have 5 of the R9 280x toxics.  As well as 5 other r9 280x's from some mining rigs I was running.

Try turning off "Hardware edge smoothing" in the render tab, works for some ATI cards.

Thanks.   Tried that.,..... No luck.   Heck, I tried just about any function in chief, along with all the custom functions specifically for the card in their on board tuning software (catalyst).

Also checked 5 different drivers going back to when the card was first introduced.   AND....I check it at multiple resolutions on each setting.

Nothing changed the behavior.   At this point, I spent my Sunday trying to figure it out.......I dont want to spend anymore time on it.  Too much drawing to do.  Thank goodness, most all my work the next few days is only in plan view!   New card should be here by mid week.   In the end, it is about another 25% increase in processing power, so it wont be a bad thing..... Just means I am good for a few years at min.

My current build that I switched from was much the same way.   Over 4 years old and still ran chief great.  I7-950 OD'd with 12gb mem and GTX 660.   Spending a little more upfront means I got some good miles out of it.   Heck< I dont ever think I have kept a PC for over 4 years.   And I really could have lived without the upgrade....but it was fun upgrading and I wanted some other features (like more dives and hot-swaps).   So a new build made sense. 

Justin, I have been had the same problem since I started Chief 8 months ago. Since I was new, I was too busy learning to complain, but it is very annoying and makes elevations a huge chore with lines evaporating or looking super thick randomly on zooms, just like your video. I hear that others have no trouble, which leads me to believe that it is my hardware and Chief don't get along that well.

Justin, I have been had the same problem since I started Chief 8 months ago. Since I was new, I was too busy learning to complain, but it is very annoying and makes elevations a huge chore with lines evaporating or looking super thick randomly on zooms, just like your video. I hear that others have no trouble, which leads me to believe that it is my hardware and Chief don't get along that well.

I have used Chief for almost 15 years and never had an issue such as this.   Always ran Nvida products and knew that AMD were known to be problematic. 

Anyway......have no idea how you can live with that issue.   It only tool me about 30 min to figure out that it had to go.   Like I said....ordered new card this AM.

If you want a cheap card that will run Chief great, you can pick up a GTX660 for aprox $150.  That is what I had and it was rock stable, never made a noise (fans always stayed quit) and drew very little power so you dont need a power supply upgrade.   Like I said....I just wanted a new build for the heck of it, but my stuff ran perfectly fine.

I figured that it was all part of the quirky experience I have been having with Chief all along. I am used to predictable behavior and consistent logical programming like Archicad and Sketchup. Unfortunately, the hardware and software is not mine, so I do not have the option of making change. 

I figured that it was all part of the quirky experience I have been having with Chief all along. I am used to predictable behavior and consistent logical programming like Archicad and Sketchup. Unfortunately, the hardware and software is not mine, so I do not have the option of making change. 

I actually like Chief ALOT.   But that type of display issue is not something I could live with.   If I had to work on it and it was not my PC, I think I would pay out of my pocket to get the right card.   Not sure how you can even draw when lines go flashing in and out...etc.   

Issue solved!  New GTX 970 card installed, and it is running great.

Probably a lot more card then Chief needs, but I am good for a few years.   The card benchmarks about 2 times faster than my old GTX660 but you really dont see that much difference in Chief.   I can see it in other programs though.

The great thing about this card, is it is VERY quiet.   Even benchmarking at a 1300 overclock, the card never hit 80 deg and I could not even hear the fans.   VERY efficient card. 

For just over $300, this card is a great deal.   Anyone considering a build that will last them a loooooong time in chief, might look at this card.   Great bargain.

Thanks for the update.

So Chief does not have a list of approved cards? :huh:

It has been said for years that Chief cooperates with Nvidia better.  I knew this but I had the card lying around and figured I would try it in my new build.   It only took me a day of living with the AMD issues to order a new card. 

Dont know for the life of me how someone would live with lines flashing in and out as you zoom...sometimes totally disappearing!

Anyway....Happy camper with a new updated system now.

i7- 4790k oc at 4.4

24 gb memory

gtx 970 OC edition

2- 250g ssids

1- 1tb hd

1 -2tb hd

(Two HD's (one ssid and hd) are on 'hot swap in the front of machine)

3 monitors

2-23" 1920x1080

1-27" 2560x1440

BTW Justin in my youth (26 now 67) I too power lifted.

Bench 440

Squat 500

Dead lift 580

Very nice!  That is some serious weight.  What weight class?

Im 42 and 5 years back training serious.

5'9" frame and lift in 198's "RAW" meaning no equipment (bench shirts, squat suits...compression wear..etc).   I stay fairly lean. <10% year round.    If I were 'normal' body comp, I would be a 230+.   I let my weight drift up last 4 months of the year and settled at 227 and still had 'abs'.   But Jan 1 I started cutting cals again and am back down below 200 again....leanest I have ever been right now.  

Current PB 

Bench 420

Deadlift 635

Squat 550

Dealing with several injuries and always working around them.  Torn periformas and hip flexor have kept my squat out of the 6's.   Shoulder is pretty messed up so I dont much go over 365 unless meet prepping.

I have several passions.....I love to draw...but I do other things too!

Most people think I am a "bodybuilder", but I dont really lift for size only.   I like strength and enjoy heavy lifting.  I am not a traditional powerlifter though as fat is helpful in strength.  If I wanted, I could let my weight drift up to 220's and carry fat and probably carry most every national title right now.   But I like a balance of strength and would not want to sacrifice health by carrying too much weight, just to be "strong".  An example of current body comp

e85064f9-399e-41e8-a6a3-09c02735fe0c_zps

20150306_180946-1_zpsbhdfzph3.jpg

You've done well.

I was a smooth 265 back then & did see 200 again back in 1998 but I love to eat:) 235 now & only play tennis 2-3 time a week.
Sorry to hear about the injuries, I think being too lean can lead to some injuries when your pushing that kind of weight.

We had a weightlifting club training out of a garage, although it was well equipped for power lifting.
With 6 to 8 guys training there was a lot of competition. I hung with two friends and both stronger than I so I was always motivated.
Gary was a dead lifting fool topping out at 800! 660 squat & 420 bench.
Dennis dead was 700 & 680 squat & 500 bench.
All of us in the heavy class Dennis 275 and Gary was about 225. He did look like a body builder. All of us 6' tall.
Others in the group were pretty good & we won State club championship.
One other Vick at 180 could dead 600, bench 405 & squat 550. Quite the Mighty Mouse.
Good times were had back then. Thanks for taking me back. :)

Take care of those injuries as they can stay with your for life.

later.

Back to work

You've done well.

I was a smooth 265 back then & did see 200 again back in 1998 but I love to eat:) 235 now & only play tennis 2-3 time a week.

Sorry to hear about the injuries, I think being too lean can lead to some injuries when your pushing that kind of weight.

We had a weightlifting club training out of a garage, although it was well equipped for power lifting.

With 6 to 8 guys training there was a lot of competition. I hung with two friends and both stronger than I so I was always motivated.

Gary was a dead lifting fool topping out at 800! 660 squat & 420 bench.

Dennis dead was 700 & 680 squat & 500 bench.

All of us in the heavy class Dennis 275 and Gary was about 225. He did look like a body builder. All of us 6' tall.

Others in the group were pretty good & we won State club championship.

One other Vick at 180 could dead 600, bench 405 & squat 550. Quite the Mighty Mouse.

Good times were had back then. Thanks for taking me back. :)

Take care of those injuries as they can stay with your for life.

later.

Back to work

That is really cool!

I was out of the gym for a decade, and at 36 I looked at what I had let myself degrade into and vowed to get 'back in shape'.   That soon re-ignighted my desire to push myself to life heavy stuff again.

I dont compete a lot.  At my level (masters 40+) it is really not competition.   My lifts rank me in the top 50 in the US at 198's even in 'open' class competing against guys half my age.

I train and lift for me.  It is a great release.  I'll share this as you would probably appreciate it.   I am working towards a 700lb deadlift.  Pretty much would hold most records in most every fed at my age class and weight class.

I came close...but had to pull back with a intercostal strain.   This was part of my training a few months back.  It is repping 585x7 (which computes out to about a 720 single).   I wear straps on multiple rep sets because this would rip my callouses off with this many reps mixed grip.

Love to chat lifting any time!