"lock" dimensions of polyline or object

I can't search for it, because I can't quite explain my question...

Say I want to make a 24"x24" shape be able to move around a room with precise dimensions.  But when I try to move it by dimensions it just pulls that one "side" of the object (i.e. stretches it to 30.5"x24").

I did try converting to a polyline solid but same issue.

I'm just trying to create a very rudimentary space planning layout.  I think it's possible to do this, I just don't have a clue where to look. 

Thanks for any help.

Can't really lock an object's size, when you move something using dimensions just be aware that exactly what you're describing is the intended functionality. 

But if you "group select" a single object (hold shift then click), then the whole thing is affected by that move. Temporary Dimensions sometimes don't generate the way you need them to though, so you'll likely need to manually put in your own dimensions.

• Like 1

Madcow, you just need to pay attention to what is on your screen when you click on a dimension.  On the right side, you should see two buttons.  The button with the 2-headed arrow will just move the side of the poly and the button with the 4-headed arrow will move the whole object.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oh that'll do it too, didn't think about those buttons. I usually ignore them since they can sometimes confuse things. But the "Move" option is pretty fool proof!

If you create an Architectural Block out of one or more objects (polyline solid, molding polyline, etc.), then resizing won't even be an option so it will ONLY move and the various Move/Resize toggles won't show up when you click on the dimension.

On 6/5/2024 at 2:06 PM, DBCooper said:

Madcow, you just need to pay attention to what is on your screen when you click on a dimension.  On the right side, you should see two buttons.  The button with the 2-headed arrow will just move the side of the poly and the button with the 4-headed arrow will move the whole object.

Learn something new every day :)

I've been drawing a second control object, usually a small circle nearby, then selected both to move the entire object.  This is much simpler.