Default Sets for different scales

I know that CA's default scale is 1/4"=1'-0", but that scale isn't always optimal for smaller projects so I've had to create different default sets on the fly to accommodate.

This gets quite tedious especially when my partner doesn't create a set for something specific and then I have to go through all the drawings and fix text, arrows, etc.

I've done some extensive searching and haven't found anything that fits the bill, so I've went through and created a default set for a few different scale's to test.

This is currently working for what I wanted to achieve but I'm wondering if there is a better way to accomplish that might be easier. 

image.thumb.png.4b2ac02c94a1d15aa6ebc70b138142ec.png

49 minutes ago, Jonathan3891 said:

This is currently working for what I wanted to achieve but I'm wondering if there is a better way to accomplish that might be easier. 

I've always been frustrated on this topic as well... I wish there was a way to set a global scale and output size, and you can free to adjust the drawing scale.

Same with me, I work on a smaller projects and sometime my drawing scale can be more obscure, 5/32" or 3/16" just so I can fit on my 11x17 pper that is my standard. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan3891 said:

I think the answer to this is going to be unique to each individual. People work differently and projects are unique as well. I frequently need to customize a layer set in order to properly display some unique condition. And the size of a building can change through the design phase, meaning you might not know the drawing scale until design is mostly complete. Not to mention it can change after completion, like when the client asks for a 4-car garage at a 45 degree angle to the house...after the drawings are done. It happens and it's work to deal with it, no matter how you're set up.

Combine those issues and that means that the multiplication of layer sets can be very time consuming to maintain. Especially when you consider that you may need to update a template plan annually for each new version of Chief.

Personally, I found it simpler to update a layer set on the fly when necessary. If my building grows too big for my paper and I'm forced to move from 1/4" scale to 3/16" scale, I simply adjust.

It can be as simple as selecting all the dimensions on a floor plan and changing the dimension default that they use. Or editing a layer set by selecting all layers based on text style and changing the text style to the desired scaled version.

Rather than multiple layer sets for each drawing type at each possible scale, I just adjust the layer set. I keep a variety of dimensions and text styles, but I'm not interested in maintaining 40 or 50 SVPS and default sets and layer sets. 

I choose a quick pivot on an as-needed basis over trying to maintain multiple options that often need to be edited to suit a particular project anyways. The important thing is to find the method that's fastest and most repeatable and reliable for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan3891 said:

so I've went through and created a default set for a few different scale's to test.

what you have done is exactly what I do, I also have a 3/16 scale

But what I do not do is have an SPV for each. If I need to change the default set, I will change it, then save the SPV associated with it. This means the same SPV in different plans will have different scales, which is fine with me.

I considered a new template for each per rene, but came to the conclusion that is too much work to maintain

20 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

what you have done is exactly what I do, I also have a 3/16 scale

But what I do not do is have an SPV for each. If I need to change the default set, I will change it, then save the SPV associated with it. This means the same SPV in different plans will have different scales, which is fine with me.

I considered a new template for each per rene, but came to the conclusion that is too much work to maintain

You and @robdyckdont use match lines? My muni wont take 3/16

Jonathan 3891

I have 63 default sets setup the same or similar to yours, each default set is linked to a layer set with the same name.

This allows using only one template with the ability use multiple plan scales for different plan sheets within one plan set, ie. floor plan, structural steel plan, deck plan etc.

I have had CA setup like this for years ever since we had annotations sets before default sets, once setup it is quick and easy to use.

Default Sets.PNG

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

you might not know the drawing scale until design is mostly complete.

This is almost the case. I wont know the scale I want the plans at until I have the design complete and put it on a layout. Or I have to change the scale because it ends up being too crowded or whatever the case may be.