Strip Footings

jbaehmer

Before the release of X7, my strip footings ended at the end of the wall.  Now, they extend past 3 or so inches.  In the attached pic, I drew a red line of where it used to stop.  Is there a new setting that I am not aware of to get this back to where I once had it?

post-314-0-57407400-1425578001_thumb.png

Jared,

I don't know of a setting for that - maybe in the "Build Foundation Dialog" - but it seems to me to be a more realistic representation of construction practice.

Yeah...I can understand that, however, it needs to be more of an option.  I have a builder that I have over 70 base plans saved and he doesn't want the small 4.25" extensions.  I called TS and sent it in.  It worked great right before this update, so it was something that they changed that most likely inadvertently did this.  Hope they look into it to change it.

I have tried to see if "edit wall layer intersection" would work, but found out that the icon isn't available when on floor 0.  Unless I am completely missing something.

I commented on how I wanted this changed about a month ago.  I will have to check that out.

I have a somewhat unusual project I am just finishing up which includes a Fortruss (Beaver Plastics product - Canada) floor system over a full basement.  The engineer, for one wall with an in-floor reinf. concrete beam bearing on the wall (lintel) over a 3' door, specified that the footing (generally a 22" x 8" strip footing) under this door and for 2' either side of it be 36" wide and 10" deep (7' length total).  With limited ability to manipulate footings in plan, I just used the slab tool for that section of footing to show the added requirement for that specific section.  There were two other areas in the design where their were extra footing requirements due to concentrated loads through the foundation walls.

It would really be nice if we had the ability to manipulate the shape of standard strip footings, such as with the break line tool, so we could handle unusual designs like this.  I would also like to have the ability to change the footing thickness for those sections requiring greater depth.  It would be nice if we could continue to have the single dashed line on either side of a wall to define the plan view shape of the footing.  It would also be nice to have a crossing dashed line where the footing thickness changes.  We would still need to include annotation to describe the footing conditions.

I just checked out a 2x6 bearing/foundation wall inside of the regular foundation walls.  When pulled away from a perimeter foundation wall, I get a 16" extension of the footing on the end of the wall.  None of the 3 sides of this footing projection are selectable for resizing.  You have to be within the sides of the wall itself before we have the ability to change the width of the footing under the wall on either side.  This is nice if that is all we had to do with a footing but that isn't always the case.

Generally, absent any specific or obvious engineering requirements, I like to show the extension of a footing at the end of a wall based on a 45° downward/outward projection line which essentially means that if the footing is 8" thick, then I extend the end of the footing 8" beyond the end of the wall.  I have no idea why Chief is extending the footing 16" past the end of a stub foundation/bearing wall ... doesn't make any sense to me, but maybe there's a reason.  Here's what I got doing what I did (right side) and what happened to the footing extension at the end of the short wall segment when I manipulated the width of the footing on either side of the short wall using the drag handles.

post-191-0-87904800-1425607756_thumb.jpg