X16 will support Ray Tracing on Mac

BalutFX

I had seen that the recommended system for Mac was changed to M3 (which I have), but just saw the upcoming sneak peek webinar for X16 officially advertising the ability for Ray Trace on the Mac. Yay.

"There are many great new features coming in Chief Architect X16—Mac ray tracing"

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 10.31.54.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yea...it's nice that it's at least supported by Chief...but, since Apple is maniacally in love with the ARM based processor and placing graphics support on the chip...it's going to be very slow. 

But still...it's nice to see Chief working hard to get us Mac users the ability to ray trace. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

Yea...it's nice that it's at least supported by Chief...but, since Apple is maniacally in love with the ARM based processor and placing graphics support on the chip...it's going to be very slow. 

But still...it's nice to see Chief working hard to get us Mac users the ability to ray trace. 

Steve does this mean you and I won't be able to RT with our iMac's? I'm not well versed in computer logistics, I just hope the thing works when I turn it on in the morning lol. This machine still gets me from point A to point B well enough, so you won't be breaking my heart saying that my iMac won't do it.

I agree, it is nice to see CA putting in some hard work for us Mac users, thank you CA.

The announcement only says Mac raytracing, which we already have, so I think they mean realtime raytracing or whatever that greyed out section is called when you do PBR.

Also excited to see poché fill. 

I guess we're finally getting cut fills for sections and maybe even 3D views?

6 hours ago, mthd97 said:

This is apparently what it means in SketchUp

Hopefully it works more like it does in Archicad where you define a colour and fill pattern for the walls, floors, etc, when they get cut by a section.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mthd97 said:

(not ketchup BTW)

HA!

I watched the vid twice, but still not something I ever needed.  But I might once I have it, and know what it is and know how to use it.  BTW, I use Inventor during the day, and I can set my material defaults, like 304L S/S, when I do cross sections, that view is hatched.  Is this kinda the same thing?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Hopefully it works more like it does in Archicad where you define a colour and fill pattern for the walls, floors, etc, when they get cut by a section.

What it will be able to do in Chief, all will be revealed (May 9 webinar). I just wanted to know what that word “Poche” was all about ?

My cross sections are not solid filled at present because I don’t want to confuse the carpenters or builders lol. I do shade my elevations though.