CPU Ray Tracing - what am I doing wrong?

westvale

Hello everyone, I attempted my first CPU ray trace and it doesn't look great.  Yes, I have watched a couple videos on this (and I will be watching more).  I'm just wondering if anyone can offer tips on how to make this look better.  My biggest complaint is the white siding is washed out and the shadows are way too dark. The perspective full overview looks better than the ray trace. (Please ignore the wonky roof, I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that!).

838794715_Screenshot2024-03-20at7_20_25AM.thumb.png.7c094a736136ad3e81dc0ec7594edb2e.png

On 3/21/2024 at 1:07 PM, westvale said:

I attempted my first CPU ray trace and it doesn't look great

The advice these days is to use PBR Views and make sure Hardware Ray Tracing is turned on in Preferences...... The two methods CPU and PBR are not compatible material and lighting wise , and with PBR now infinitely faster , it is best to use it and stick with it and adjust material properties and lighting for the PBR View.

Also make sure you computer is using the dedicated GPU  (dGPU) if using a Laptop and that has both a built in intel GPU and a dGPU such as a Nvidia or AMD Card as well.

M.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

You will get better responses if you post this in the Q&A forum. This forum does not get much traffic and is meant for people to showcase working methods they have developed or discovered that make certain tasks easier and/or provide better outcomes.

On 3/21/2024 at 4:07 PM, westvale said:

Hello everyone, I attempted my first CPU ray trace and it doesn't look grea

No one will tell you this but it is impossible to produce a proper ray trace or pbr image on a Mac. 

Give it up. 

Standard render is your only friend. It will produce “acceptable” images to show your clients but not worthy of website, portfolio or brochures etc… 

If you want professional renderings, hire it out or buy a pc and spend the time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

@westvale

Here is about the best I can do on a Mac.  

If you find this good enough for publication (I don't) then here are my settings.

One important thing is to use a proper backdrop as the backdrop will affect lighting.

The reason you're getting the washed out look is mostly due to your white background.

On a Mac a more subdued background like some of the Dusk skies are usually easier to work with as they are darker.

It's easier to increase brightness than to decrease it.

@stevenyhof credit to Steven for the background image below. 

52243627_PBRPerspectiveFull1.thumb.jpg.18cb09d882e92c3bbc88026428d5e719.jpg

1019230873_PBRSETTINGS.thumb.png.5533d7e17fbfa05641a16da1b06060d6.png