Shadow Bead / Floating Drywall Technique

Adrean

I've been seeing a trim and wall finish detail where base trim is flush to the wall finish and there is a recess at the top and/or bottom of the wall. It is a clean look that I've wanted to render in Chief Architect.

There isn't an explicit feature made to do this automatically, but here is one technique that works pretty well. Can you guess what it is?

image.thumb.png.5d9c49f3db0d48a4d317876f7a99a588.png

Here's the X15 plan if you would like to dissect.Shadow Bead.plan

1 hour ago, Adrean said:

Can you guess what it is?

Material Regions would have been my guess and I was right.. :).  I am not to familiar with this in the real world, but it looks very clean.  The gap between the trim section and the drywall, is that typical?  How do you keep the drywall squared off and smooth like what is shown.. (talking in the real world)?  Does look cool though..  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

The gap between the trim section and the drywall, is that typical?  How do you keep the drywall squared off and smooth like what is shown.. (talking in the real world)?

Yes, the gap is the primary detail, sometimes there is no base at all, just the shadow gap.

Sometimes you'll see tape lighting installed in the recess, which makes a nice ambient lighting effect. 

I think there are a variety of channel moulds that are used for installation IRL, as Joe pointed out.

Here's an installation video: https://youtu.be/_Y5ap0u_1lM?si=lZGJQ_xhiIVnLD0N

Sometimes the recess follows stairs, which is also a fun and interesting detail.

ags%20battiscopa%20rasomuro%20led.jpg

Googling "Recessed Baseboards" seems to return a decent variety of real world examples. :)

Thanks for playing!

Note one clever behavior with this solution: wall material regions recognize door and window openings. This means that the pieces made for the baseboard and recess will dynamically update as your doors are moved. Obviously, those that surround the window and door frame are not connected to the openings and won't move with them.

Thanks for re-posting your video, @Renerabbitt.

Looks like I should have scrolled my search results a little more before I shared my version!

Here's the original Q&A post for those who want to see prior discussions: 

42 minutes ago, Adrean said:

Thanks for re-posting your video, @Renerabbitt.

Looks like I should have scrolled my search results a little more before I shared my version!

Here's the original Q&A post for those who want to see prior discussions: 

yours is still a great method for things such as the staircase or around a door etc