Cad Box to Polyline

JKEdmo

Good morning,

Does Chief allow you to convert / explode a Cad Box to a polyline?

I'm doing detailing.  I use a lot of Cad Boxes, but there are some times I'd like to turn the boxes into adjustable polylines.

Using X15.

Thanks again!

Jim

5 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Yes, actually! Just not directly from Box to Polyline

Neat.  But, does this method only work in plan view?  I don't think it's doable in a Cad detail (?)

Jim

6 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Yes, actually! Just not directly from Box to Polyline.

Use Convert Polyline to convert it to something, anything, then you can use Convert to Plain Polyline and it'll no longer be a Box.

Thinking outside the box...I like it! This won't work in a CAD detail though!

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

This won't work in a CAD detail though!

True, But you can copy it to plan view and back again. Paste In Place Hold Position will remember it's location from Detail to Plan and back again.

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

@TeaTime Oh, I thought about that! For future detailing, I think perhaps Jim should just get in the habit of using polylines:)

Oh for sure, I rarely use Boxes myself, esp since you can keep a polyline rectangular by right-click dragging it's corners, there's no huge benefit to using Boxes aside from their special box styles, but those are pretty specific uses.

Like T, I always use the rectangular polyline tool instead of the cad box tool.  The only reason I ever need a cad box is if I really want a cross box or insulation.  So I never actually use the cad box tool.

15 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I think perhaps Jim should just get in the habit of using polylines:)

Thanks for everyone's 2 cents and advice on technique.  Good stuff!

I think I might propose a convert / explode cad box feature to Chief on suggestions.  Maybe they'll consider it.

Jim