Balcony is Glaring!

Dershem

Been working on a design, and I have a conundrum.  In the great room there is a balcony.  When I render the room using the "Physically Based" render, the lighting on the balcony goes bananas.  For whatever reason the ceiling above the balcony (which renders just fine in other styles/techniques) seems to become transparent, leaving the balcony glaringly bright.  The materials have not been altered, and the glare throws the rest of the room into a, well, take a look.  Any idea what might cause this to happen?  (Also:  Is there a better rendering engine I can get and use?  Physically based" gets me close to realistic, but...)

Thanks!

balcony is glaring.jpg

4 hours ago, Dershem said:

Been working on a design, and I have a conundrum.  In the great room there is a balcony.  When I render the room using the "Physically Based" render, the lighting on the balcony goes bananas.  For whatever reason the ceiling above the balcony (which renders just fine in other styles/techniques) seems to become transparent, leaving the balcony glaringly bright.  The materials have not been altered, and the glare throws the rest of the room into a, well, take a look.  Any idea what might cause this to happen?  (Also:  Is there a better rendering engine I can get and use?  Physically based" gets me close to realistic, but...)

Thanks!

balcony is glaring.jpg

Do you have a roof on it?

Try turning your sunlight setting way down to about 1200.  In the camera dbx, make sure your Lighting setting is set to light set and not automatic with all the lights on you want to see in the camera view.  This will help Chief by ignoring the rooms so that you get light in the distant rooms and not just the room and floor the camera is located in.  In a two-story room like this, this will let all the lights show up in the camera view correctly.  You can also turn down the backdrop intensity in the PBR settings until you can clearly see your background.

If those suggestions do not work, post the plan and we can play with it about to troubleshoot the problem.

On 1/26/2024 at 4:25 PM, rgardner said:

Do you have a roof on it?

Yep.  In all views except for Physical, it sees the roof, but in that render mode, the roof and ceiling over the balcony seem to ... vanish.  And for whatever reason (I removed all furniture and fittings and even rooms not connected to this one) I can't get the file size under 26 MB.  :(  I do not have (for obvious reasons) 'flat ceiling over this room', but there is definitely a roof.  Maybe... raccoons have gotten in and torn up the insulation, but virtual raccoons?  This software should not have those, so iam stumped.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:55 PM, Designers_Ink said:

Do a Backup Entire Plan into a Zip file and upload it so we can open the model up and take a look.

OK.  Here is the ZIP'd file.  I hope you can figure out the glitch.  Thank you very much!

my house.zip

• 3 weeks later...