Ungrouping furniture components

nsdesigns

Hi All! I have a furniture piece I brought in through the manufacturer. When I go to change the fabric of the piece I am unable to change the furniture leg style to something other than the cushion and vice versa. I have attached photos. I believe I need to ungroup the legs from the rest of the chair but hit a road block on how to do so. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 1.14.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 1.14.14 PM.png

I am trying to change the material of the leg. Currently when I change the material it makes the legs the same as the seat of the chair. I'd like to separate or ungroup the chair so I can change the material of the leg, cushion, and body of the chair to be 3 separate materials.

What is the file extension for the chair originally? If you can bring it into Sketchup then you could do the individual material assignments. If only in CA, a wonky but possible approach would be to make a copy of the chair and delete surfaces other than the legs. Save that out as a symbol and then reimport and do the same with the chair but only delete the legs. Recombine.

In your photo above, you should be able to assign different materials to the legs on that couch, but probably not on that chair.

It all depends on how the original designer built the symbol you are using.  If they set the legs to use a different material than the cushions, you will be able to apply different materials to them in Chief.  If they were all set to the same material, then you will not. 

There is no easy way "ungroup" the symbol in Chief.  It can be done, but it can be a lot of work depending on the symbol.  You might be better off opening the symbol in another program to do this (as suggested by Alan).

For those who are interested, the 3d file for this furniture and (other models) can be found on the manufacturer's website. You will need to create an account in order to download, which I did not do. Might be worth reaching out to the manufacturer to see if they have a different model type that could be made available and if they'd be interested in creating a Chief library of their products.

https://www.kellex.com/products/tranquility-senior-living-furniture/t-removable_seating/HC09313-05RS_SCARLET_LOUNGE_CHAIR_W__REMOVABLE_SEAT_DECK/

May I recommend to the OP or other's who are requesting file specific help...post some files, please!  It'll be more fun and much more helpful!

Example...could someone tell me if I should I serve these cookies to family over the holidays?

image.jpeg.df643fea576ff7e7ba9d8c71c39fd153.jpeg