Text settings in Active Layer sets and plan views

Elliot

I am struggling with plan views and layer sets.  In the plan I am working on now, I created two views. A ceiling framing view and a floor framing view.  For each one I created a layer set and assigned the layer set to the corresponding view. So the Ceiling framing view gets assigned the Ceiling layer set and so on.  And for each layer set I create layers which would be very specific to just that view. For the Ceiling view I have Text - ceiling framing,  and for Cad I have CAD - ceiling framing , and same for dimensions.  So those items show up only on that view.  I have watched the videos and   I think I am doing all correctly. 

But  I am in the Floor Framing View and the layer set is the Floor Layer Set with the Text - floor framing turned on. But I start to place text in that view and CA asks me if i want to turn on the Text- Ceiling Framing layer. 

I don't understand how the layer sets coordinate or are affected by what I set in the defaults/setting.  I thought the selected layer set overrides whatever is in the defaults. Is there a setting to make it ignore the defaults and just use whatever I have set in the layer set.  

Why is it doing that and what am I doing wrong? 

thanks

9 minutes ago, Elliot said:

I am struggling with plan views and layer sets.  In the plan I am working on now, I created two views. A ceiling framing view and a floor framing view.  For each one I created a layer set and assigned the layer set to the corresponding view. So the Ceiling framing view gets assigned the Ceiling layer set and so on.  And for each layer set I create layers which would be very specific to just that view. For the Ceiling view I have Text - ceiling framing,  and for Cad I have CAD - ceiling framing , and same for dimensions.  So those items show up only on that view.  I have watched the videos and   I think I am doing all correctly. 

But  I am in the Floor Framing View and the layer set is the Floor Layer Set with the Text - floor framing turned on. But I start to place text in that view and CA asks me if i want to turn on the Text- Ceiling Framing layer. 

I don't understand how the layer sets coordinate or are affected by what I set in the defaults/setting.  I thought the selected layer set overrides whatever is in the defaults. Is there a setting to make it ignore the defaults and just use whatever I have set in the layer set.  

Why is it doing that and what am I doing wrong? 

thanks

Well first up I will offer that I sell templates that take all of the hassle out of this..shameless plug.
Layers are plan wide, you can create a custom layer(Though I advise people to make as few custom layers as possible for business scaling/onboarding complexity) but that layer wil exist across all layer sets.
Also, you need to edit your active defaults for your saved plan view. This can be done by editing the active view and in the selected defaults panel, setting up your defaults for that view. The layer set for your active view only determines how layers will show up for that view, they don't determine annotations/dimensions/ etc.

7 hours ago, Elliot said:

I thought the selected layer set overrides whatever is in the defaults.

No, the selected Default Layer Set simply controls which layers are visible in that Saved Plan View (SPV). The Default Layer Set won't control which Text Layer is Active for Text for that view - you also have to set those Text and Rich Text layer setting defaults.

Think of the SPV as a program of "Active Defaults" i.e., settings which that view uses (among other settings) - and defaults to - when you open that view. If you want Floor Framing TEXT to appear on the Text- Floor Framing Layer when placing text in the Floor Framing SPV, then in that SPV's Defaults, Text must be assigned to that layer. So in your Floor Framing SPV, you want the Default Text assigned to the layer for Text- Floor Framing.

In your SPV Defaults, under Rich Text and Text, hit the Pencil icon, and see what layer they are assigned to (for Rich Text hit the Appearance tab, for Text click the Line Style tab). That is where you control when and where the text appears, and it's why the program is asking if you want to turn on the Text- Ceiling Framing layer - because your Floor Framing SPV Default for Text has Ceiling Framing as the layer it's assigned to.

Depending on your preferences, you may need to create specific Saved Text Styles for specific views, but you may also be able to repeat some text styles over multiple views. It depends on your setup. 

I am pretty sure Rene does this differently but this is my method. I make a distinct default set for every Plan View that is sent to layout. Generally I have 10-12 unique plan views sent to layout. If I have some new distinct layout (I occasionally have a Fire specific plan view) then I can make a new plan view with defaults in about 2 minutes. The default sets are exportable to update a template plan.

image.thumb.png.4972504a8e1231c72e78415ab0dd341b.pngimage.thumb.png.efee55b3e15e8f7cc0f637bee6f4ca91.png

14 hours ago, Elliot said:

It sounds to me like to copied the Layersets from each other and then just renamed the Text-Ceiling Layer to Text - Floor .....  without also re-assigning the Layer that Layer displays on, renaming a Text Layer like that, does not also change the Layer it displays on..... go into the Text Default > Line Style > and switch it to Text - Floor in the drop down Menu.

I don't have those layers but this should give you the Idea.....

image.thumb.png.ac245fc31d2ad399677f5ad33a2f453d.png

Mick.

6 hours ago, Gawdzira said:

I am pretty sure Rene does this differently but this is my method. I make a distinct default set for every Plan View that is sent to layout. Generally I have 10-12 unique plan views sent to layout. If I have some new distinct layout (I occasionally have a Fire specific plan view) then I can make a new plan view with defaults in about 2 minutes. The default sets are exportable to update a template plan.

image.thumb.png.4972504a8e1231c72e78415ab0dd341b.pngimage.thumb.png.efee55b3e15e8f7cc0f637bee6f4ca91.png

You just dont need a default set for saved plan views is why I do it differently. I might do a different default set for different scales only.
Your screen shots show the SPV defaults, so you couldve just set those and not used a default set. Then you have the power of the default set being able to designate something else