Why are my in-cabinet rope lights not lighting the box?

GeneDavis

I asked earlier for a link to Rene Rabbit's vid on how to do vertical rope lights.  Thanks to JKE and RR I have made and set the lights, but they are not working.  They seem to work if placed outside the cabinet, but I cannot get the result RR got in his video.

Plan attached.

Pic shows the mullion-door wall cabs in which you can find the rope lights.554419801_Color1.thumb.jpg.3ea19d1259b1f0dd421b72a6e39eef07.jpg

Angel kitchen.plan

• GeneDavis changed the title to Why are my in-cabinet rope lights not lighting the box?
11 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Make sure your light sources are not inside of the geometry of the light itself.

That's a good point! I thought about that and 'thought' I had checked that but I didn't realize that Gene has a separation set to 1.5" so his vertical lights were partially buried inside the front cabinet frame!  After relocating them, I opened the camera and they still don't show up when the cabinet door glass material is Glass Standard (straight from the Library).

I can get the lights to show through the cabinet doors with Glass Standard as the material but only if I uncheck 'Refraction' in Technique Options. 

It's worth noting that Gene's door style has 2 panes of glass whereas Chief's default glass door has only 1 pane of glass, however I tested that and it made no difference.

Here's a nighttime view: All vertical rope lights are on and only 1 UC rope light is on.

image.thumb.png.d477092e337676190d25c42940fd3a86.png

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

That's a good point! I thought about that and 'thought' I had checked that but I didn't realize that Gene has a separation set to 1.5" so his vertical lights were partially buried inside the front cabinet frame!  After relocating them, I opened the camera and they still don't show up when the cabinet door glass material is Glass Standard (straight from the Library).

I can get the lights to show through the cabinet doors with Glass Standard as the material but only if I uncheck 'Refraction' in Technique Options. 

It's worth noting that Gene's door style has 2 panes of glass whereas Chief's default glass door has only 1 pane of glass, however I tested that and it made no difference.

Here's a nighttime view: All vertical rope lights are on and only 1 UC rope light is on.

Actually meant the light source moved outside of the gemoetry of the light itself.(y-offset)
Also cut-off angle too steep and fall off WAYYYY too high :)
crank up the lumens til it shows
image.thumb.png.f4d2f91cf56b48cc953ec7f2af7154fd.png

But hey, Rene (and thanks for coming into the room!), I've watched your video multiple times, and you never moved the light sources outside the tube.  You set one at 0,0,0 and move it up Z and then copy, move, copy, move, to get the array.  But they are all inside the tube.

The way these current LED stick-on tapes are, I think I'll model the light as a 1/16" t. x 3/8" w. solid and extrude it up to my needed length, then make it a light and place the spotlights along the surface.  The reason for the tube (for rope lights, so 20th century) and in my new dreamed up version, is to have a surface you can paint with the lighting white emissive to give it the 3D look of reality.