Parametric / Stretchable CAD Duct Lines

MattMRM

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Chief so if there is another thread with an answer to this already, please feel free to send me a link. I'm wondering if it is possible to create a stretchable CAD line in Chief that will repeat a duct pattern? I've attached a few examples below for what I'm looking for. To explain further, AutoCAD has numerous line types. Everything from insulation to various dashed lines are available to apply to regular lines or poly lines. If you stretch or trim the line the pattern will repeat and scale with each adjustment. I'm looking for a similar function or line style in Chief. I'm also open to creating my own line style if at all possible.

Thanks!

1812935645_Screenshot2023-10-26130304.thumb.png.02e3065b04e1b8d705b96c780b565948.png

I don't think this functions the same as what you have in mind but the distribution polyline is pretty close. In this example I made a CAD block of spiral ducting and then added that block to a distribution polyline. There are significant limitations to this and it's not a method I would necessarily recommend. There's cases where it works well and others...not so much.

image.thumb.png.476d142edbe7f6199a1ded3a961c9928.png

• Solution
19 minutes ago, robdyck said:

There are significant limitations to this and it's not a method I would necessarily recommend. There's cases where it works well and others...not so much.

This is a result of using a too-big CAD Block though, not a limitation of the tool - the shorter the repetition, the better curves you'll achieve.

image.thumb.png.a5548f1d8a9476b9cb021b6d44438ad4.png

Obviously you'll still get really bad results when you force something bad

image.png.28a7d70250616fdb5e5b1315bd463ace.png

but that aint how ducting works anyway!!

• Upvote 1

Tea,

Thanks for the help! I was able to get a solution that will work. My only final question is if it is possible to hide the original polyline distribution path and just show the repeating pattern. Below is what I was able to achieve with this method.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 075713.png