Custom Door Symbol Doesn't Re-Size Properly

rlackore

Go to solution Solved by rlackore,

I've created a custom door symbol - my first attempt - but it doesn't re-size properly when I change the width to anything other than the original width. The door has stretch zones defined; it was created as a 36inx84in size. Here are some pictures of it re-sized to 24" wide:

post-95-0-02956700-1424358682_thumb.png

... and 48" wide:

post-95-0-81826800-1424358762_thumb.png

Any clues are appreciated. Here is the symbol: Door Symbol.calibz

Agree, you would normally designate stretch plane x=0 for this type of door. For the Z plane you have choices, when placed at a height to intersect the window the door could be resized in height, and the window would resize too, the frame left, right and above to window would retain the same dimensions. If the Z plane is placed below the window the door would resize yet the window would remain the same size.

I also wondered how you made this door, and if it contains in dimensional artefacts. Meaning you may have accidentally left a small object or more likely some kind of line outside of the model, this could influence its apparent size.

Agree, you would normally designate stretch plane x=0 for this type of door. For the Z plane you have choices, when placed at a height to intersect the window the door could be resized in height, and the window would resize too, the frame left, right and above to window would retain the same dimensions. If the Z plane is placed below the window the door would resize yet the window would remain the same size.

I also wondered how you made this door, and if it contains in dimensional artefacts. Meaning you may have accidentally left a small object or more likely some kind of line outside of the model, this could influence its apparent size.

The door symbol was created with Chief polyline solids - very basic - no stray artifacts. What led me astray was that I failed to follow Chief's tutorial instructions TO THE LETTER - nowhere in the tutorial does it mention assigning stretch zones when creating a custom door symbol. In my defense, I think it is very logical to assume that a door symbol should have stretch zones. This another case of Chief's quirkiness - some of the software's means and methods run counter to each other.

Robert,

The key is understanding the terms:

Stretch Plane - Stretch/Resize is limited to the location of the Stretch Plane(s)

Stretch Zone - Stretch/Resize only occurs between the 2 Stretch Planes.

It's a very fine distinction but once you understand how each works you can get the results you need.  There are some cases where Stretch Zones are useful but in most cases they are not needed and can in fact produce undesired results.

Robert,

The key is understanding the terms:

Stretch Plane - Stretch/Resize is limited to the location of the Stretch Plane(s)

Stretch Zone - Stretch/Resize only occurs between the 2 Stretch Planes.

It's a very fine distinction but once you understand how each works you can get the results you need.  There are some cases where Stretch Zones are useful but in most cases they are not needed and can in fact produce undesired results.

Joe, I understand the difference. What I think is interesting is that door symbols, when created, don't require either zone or plane to be defined. Doesn't this seem strange?

Joe, I understand the difference. What I think is interesting is that door symbols, when created, don't require either zone or plane to be defined. Doesn't this seem strange?

No, that's true for any Symbol Category.  It's up to the user to determine where to specify them if at all. 

Fortunately, you can actually edit them in the Library after they've been created.  IOW, fine tune the Library Symbol to make it perform the way you need it to.

No, that's true for any Symbol Category.  It's up to the user to determine where to specify them if at all. 

Fortunately, you can actually edit them in the Library after they've been created.  IOW, fine tune the Library Symbol to make it perform the way you need it to.

I know it's up to the user to define the zones and planes; what I saying is that when I define stretch zones for a door symbol, I get weird re-sizing results as I illustrated in my first post. IOW, door symbols behave differently than other symbols.

Robert,

I don't think I would ever define a Stretch Zone for a Door.  That said, it might be appropriate in certain cases.  Can you show me the values you have entered (ie: the Sizing Panel of the Symbol dbx).

That way I might be able to figure provide more support.

BTW, I tried to import your symbol into X6 but I can't find it in my Library.  What's the Symbol Name?

Robert,

I don't think I would ever define a Stretch Zone for a Door.  That said, it might be appropriate in certain cases.  Can you show me the values you have entered (ie: the Sizing Panel of the Symbol dbx).

That way I might be able to figure provide more support.

BTW, I tried to import your symbol into X6 but I can't find it in my Library.  What's the Symbol Name?

Joe, we can put this issue to bed. I now know that door symbols don't want stretch planes or zones defined. The symbol name is Commercial Steel Door.

Robert,

Before we put it to bed ----- your statement is incorrect.

I've attached a revised version without Stretch Zones - but with a Stretch Plane at x=0 and one at z=48.  These Stretch Planes are appropriate for your Door Symbol, resulting in only the areas of the Door with Glass being adjusted.

Commercial Steel Door - JPC.calibz

• 1 year later...

This is a little off topic for doors but should be all the same theory for the stretch plane aspect of Railing panels. I have tried not having a stretch plane with some very strange results and also placed a stretch plane at the mid point of the width ( X ) with even more unpredictable results. I am using a railing with a central glass panel and balusters at each end spaced for code compliance, but variable spans between newels. Is there a simple way to make this work? It seems silly to make a symbol when it will not follow protocol.

I went back to the bare symbol and it behaves correctly with a x=0 stretch plane but then when placed into a railing things seem to go wrong.

Made a fresh test plan in X8 and it all seemed to work fine so went back to my own plan to try again and there must be some real programming issues when it takes 5 or 6 tries to change a library file before it will stick. Then still not behave predictably. Ugh....

Thanks Mark, I am still not sure what the issue is yet either but when a 96" railing fits into a 57" space better than a 60" one then there has to be something going on.  I might have an issue with this being a plan that was brought forward from X7.

Maybe I can get it sorted out at Scott's railing workshop with more heads working together.