Wanted, No patterns for walls and roofs on remodel.

DougDM

Chief X15.  Remodeling question. So I set up my wall types, add material for siding and roofing. Do all the fun stuff drawing the as built. Looks great in full render view. Now I throw on this massive deck. When I send my Elevation views to layout, I don’t want to see the siding or roofing patterns of the asbuilt. Just simple outlines. All I want detailed is the massive deck we’re putting on the rear of the house.  I don’t want it to look like we’re building the entire house.  I know I can put a blank material in place of siding and roofing material. But I still want 3D renderings at the same time. I know I can send it as a cad detail and remove all that I don’t want but that kills the live connection back to the model. How are you guys / ladies handling this if at all. When I used to do this in AutoCAD I just didn’t include patters or just turned off the layer. Can’t turn off the pattern layers in CA or can we and after 20 yrs didn’t realize we could. I could also make two layer sets with different wall and roofing materials as needed. Any help with this is certainly appreciated. Thanks

35 minutes ago, DougDM said:

I don’t want it to look like we’re building the entire house.

Doug,

One possible approach...

For this elevation below, I duplicated the layout boxes on top of each other (no offset).  I then modified the layout boundaries to show two defined areas, e.g. color as new and black and white as existing.  Essentially two jigsaw puzzle pieces side by side.  (Layout boxes can be complex polylines and not just rectangles).

Then I changed the one layout box to show color.

Could work for you.  I'm sure the power users might have other approaches.

Jim

image.thumb.png.e194501861729a5357709f93dcba32b7.png

JKE, interesting solution, but I don’t want to see any siding lines on asbuilt. The pattern tool does an okay job removing patterns, such as siding and roofing, I’ll toy with this when I have time, has possibilities

17 hours ago, rgardner said:

Just use vector view and send as plot lines which is highly recommended for con docs.  As long as your texture doesn’t have a pattern associated then you won’t see anything except the outlines.

Thanks Ryan, more or less what I’ve been doing, I’ve been playing with layer sets, one with normal walls and materials and normal roofing materials. Then a copy of the normal layer set with same walls and roof plans etc., just no material patterns for siding and roof planes. Works pretty good. 
still need to play with line weights. Anyway, thanks again. 

Best regards,

Doug

1 hour ago, DougDM said:

but I don’t want to see any siding lines on asbuilt.

Okay, here's an idea --  In the as-built elevation layout box specification, set the pattern lines to white.   Then they disappear against white background.

image.thumb.png.94fd7b961f7057d48c8ca67a6009e724.png

The result:

image.thumb.png.e8e6a204056a79f4c0f6d8e8b66c8bd8.png

If you stitch the two halves together -- as-built at left and proposed at right -- , might be effect you are looking for.

Jim

On 8/29/2023 at 8:54 PM, rgardner said:

Just use vector view and send as plot lines which is highly recommended for con docs

My approach as well and I use a simple CAD Mask (Cad Box, cut to shape)  set to front (1-5 depending)

with the fill set to the background color @ 10%-20% trans. to mask off the Existing Home.

image.thumb.png.f6cb81b9b31ae8d84f138971da48ec24.png

M.

On 9/3/2023 at 11:51 AM, Kbird1 said:

My approach as well and I use a simple CAD Mask (Cad Box, cut to shape)  set to front (1-5 depending)

I will use this approach or another approach where I paint or assign the existing materials with a copy of each material with the pattern removed.

In the example below, I set the materials using the copy method described above. For this particular project it was quicker than cad masks.

image.thumb.png.000689aa26a01853b7af8ea3a1371647.png