What is everyone using to share 3d model?

dskogg

Wondering what everyone is using to share interactive 3d exterior models.

i have used the following:

-chief 3d viewer, poor quality

-chief walkthrough video, make a fly around video, share link with client, good quality but takes too long

-exporting to twin motion, I find kind of a pain, but does allow user to control season and time of day, not rtrt quality 

- giving client chief file and let them open in chief viewer program, clients need to be technical, also don’t really want to give out file.

- exporting 360 files and making a kuula tour, quality is great, works better for inside tour, doesn’t allow user to change camera location. I wish there was an external 360 that rotated around object.

looking for other options that are high quality and don’t take too long.

Viewers are indeed a helpful tool... but there's a downside sometimes. 

My two cents... sharing the model is a great feature, but occasionally this invites a bit too much client participation in the design. More often than not, they'll think that architectural design is fun, like playing MineCraft, and they'll want to start chiming in, even with the best of intentions. 

A really good video fly-over in standard view (with sunlight and shadows) is an excellent method. Clay model views are also really helpful. Maybe three or 4 minutes long. Upload the movie file to a video sharing site. 

This way, the homeowner can ooh and ahh... and the hands-off method often prevents them from become back seat drivers.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 10:33 AM, dskogg said:

Wondering what everyone is using to share interactive 3d exterior models.

i have used the following:

-chief 3d viewer, poor quality

-chief walkthrough video, make a fly around video, share link with client, good quality but takes too long

-exporting to twin motion, I find kind of a pain, but does allow user to control season and time of day, not rtrt quality 

- giving client chief file and let them open in chief viewer program, clients need to be technical, also don’t really want to give out file.

- exporting 360 files and making a kuula tour, quality is great, works better for inside tour, doesn’t allow user to change camera location. I wish there was an external 360 that rotated around object.

looking for other options that are high quality and don’t take too long.

I’m surprised rtrt quality was your inhibitor on Twinmotion considering none of the options you listed are rtrt quality save for sharing the chief model, and even then they would need a compatible card.

you can do complete walkthroughs with simple keyboard navigation in Twinmotion cloud and the Physically Based Rendering is far superior to chiefs for the cloud presenter.

a side note… I would never give my client a model. 
That’s like leaving a level on a job…

• Like 1

I guess I approach showing the client their model in a little "thought process". I do a Zoom meeting with them showing their model. I feel like I have the most control/discussion of the project and I can show them almost any aspect of the model and answer any of their questions in "real time". I'm then not leaving the model in their possession. There are times when I might send some .pdf's of certain details, but there aren't many times where they will get "measured floorplans" till the model is decided on and a final cost is agreed upon. This might not always be the best approach for all clients, but for most projects it works out okay.