Library or Custom Shutter?

JKEdmo

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Hello,

I'm trying to match this offset paneled shutter style to align with my offset double hung window.

Does anyone know if this is doable with the standard tools, or does a custom window shutter need to be created?

Real world:

image.thumb.png.c504f82116a09326e4b1f40316d2e0b5.png

Virtual Chief world:

image.thumb.png.15826a580dff18266fe4d32b07f1aa79.png

Thanks again,

Jim

I think you will need to create a new library shutter.  Might be as easy as copying the existing one in the library, resizing it so that the panels are the smaller size, and then putting the stretch plane in the panel that will grow.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Or just copy the library shutter to the user catalog and then adjust the stretch plane to be within the lower panel.

Thanks for all the input.  Eric (Solver) was nice enough to do a small tutorial video on this for me.  I got it to work.  My first Chief custom symbol!

I did have a quick question:

In Chief, once a symbol becomes a symbol, it seems there is no way to "explode" it back to it's original 3D solid parts so that you can modify.  Is this true?

Jim

Might be as easy as copying the existing one in the library, resizing it so that the panels are the smaller size, and then putting the stretch plane in the panel that will grow.

What, no love for poor old DB even though I beat Robert by a good 13 hours?  Good thing I don't get my nose all bent out of shape over silly things like up/down votes and who gets credit for solutions.  ;)

And no, once you make something a symbol you really can't "explode" it to get back to the original objects.  You can put it in a camera view and add/delete more surfaces to make a new symbol, but you can't do much else.  They're now just "dumb" surfaces and you have lost the "smart" objects.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

What, no love for poor old DB even though I beat Robert by a good 13 hours?

Your answer was far too wordy! One and a half lines of text?? C'mon...ya gotta keep it to a single line!:D

11 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

What, no love for poor old DB even though I beat Robert by a good 13 hours?  Good thing I don't get my nose all bent out of shape over silly things like up/down votes and who gets credit for solutions, like some people.  ;)

Apologies!  I just turned on my workstation and started my coffee, so brain a little hazy.  I gave you an upvote though.

Thanks for answering my "exploding symbols" question.  Appreciate it.

Jim