Can a block wall have a small framed wall on top?

DIYJon

In the attached image, I'm attempted to create a shed that will be built between the existing house and the block wall.  I've drawn 2 gable walls and then created a manual roof plane to create the sloping shed top.  The goal is to extend the roof to rest upon a small section of framing that would rest upon the top of the block wall so the siding would be flush with the exterior side of the block.

I've tried creating a pony wall, but that places the framed wall below the block wall.  I can't seem to define the block wall parameters (it's actually a fence with panels and posts) such that the framed portion is on top and integrated with the shed.  The pony wall option only allows me to select a wall type.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 11.58.31 AM.png

If your wall was a simple block wall, you would be able to have a framed wall on top using a pony wall.   It looks like you made it using a railing though, and I don't think you can have a framed wall on top of a railing using a pony wall.

It is possible to get a short wall above or below a railing using floor and ceiling heights but I think in your case this might be more trouble than it's worth.

You could always try just building a short framed wall section somewhere else in the plan and converting it into a symbol that you place on top of the block wall.  

I created the railing because it didn’t seem that I could figure out how to create a block wall that looked like the final product. I’ll look into that. I could model what I need and slap it on top as well I suppose. 

@DIYJon

If I'm understanding your request correctly - you can absolutely have a pony wall structure that is built with a concrete lower half and framed upper half.

image.thumb.png.39d11993b721500dd0c84342998be3c7.png image.thumb.png.53604a33a3a82c78420d119a2d676d53.png

image.thumb.png.fbaea437b558a5e58720c27a08b20b56.png

The 'railing' heights can be modified just like a pony wall.

The same thing can be achieved with the fence as well - although doing this will turn the fence into a 'railing'

Edited by DeLayDesign
Fence into Railing

Yes, a concrete lower half, but the wall in question is a 4" block wall with 8X16 pilasters, and the only way I could figure out how to make it look like it's supposed to is by creating a wall with panels and balusters through the fencing feature.  There's no way to get the fence portion of the fence under a framed wall.  I can do it the other way around, because that makes sense, like a wall with wrought iron on top, using a pony wall.

I think I'm just stuck making a symbol and placing it between the shed overhang and the top of the block wall.

2 hours ago, DIYJon said:

creating a wall with panels and balusters through the fencing feature

Yeah, that'll totally work if the lower wall type is Solid, but Panels, Balusters, etc. won't let you put a framed wall above. Only the other way around.

What I'd probably do is go Up to floor A, draw a wall aligned with the rail below, then in a camera or Elevation view pull it where you need it

image.thumb.png.95f0e0561750d9149d8d6d799dd54981.png

usually not a great idea to go yanking wall tops n bottoms around but this is one of those weird situations.

I did have to wrap the corner on Floor A

image.png.afa27003840821528f65b88c32e69b3c.png

otherwise you'll have exposed framing.

On 6/28/2023 at 2:03 PM, DIYJon said:

In the attached image, I'm attempted to create a shed that will be built between the existing house and the block wall.  I've drawn 2 gable walls and then created a manual roof plane to create the sloping shed top.  The goal is to extend the roof to rest upon a small section of framing that would rest upon the top of the block wall so the siding would be flush with the exterior side of the block.

I've tried creating a pony wall, but that places the framed wall below the block wall.  I can't seem to define the block wall parameters (it's actually a fence with panels and posts) such that the framed portion is on top and integrated with the shed.  The pony wall option only allows me to select a wall type.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 11.58.31 AM.png

Sounds like a lot of fuss for this very simple structure. 

image.thumb.png.45a0a090b1f3cae1f0e30cc5e5bd85e4.png

100% Automatic including framing with the exception of manually adding the pilasters with get this the "post tool".

46 minutes ago, DIYJon said:

That's brilliant.  Is that a pony wall then where the block is under the framed wall?

Yes exactly. Break the 4” block wall at the corner and set that part as a railing to the height you want.