Importing DWG ACAD files into CA.... easy peasy back in the day.... but not now.... anybody else?

dshall

Hi Guys,

Importing DWG ACAD files into CA....  easy peasy back in the day....  but not now....  anybody else?

I have attached a file.  Would someone please see if possible to import into CA on a PC and then would someone import on a MAC?

I ran into this issue about a month ago.....  it was the latest ACAD version,  I could not import,  but when they backed it off to ACAD 2011 I could import.

Is this a MAC thing?  thanks

4433 UPLAND ST - Client TOPO CAD.dwg

Usually Chief is 1 Version (year) behind , same with importing Sketchup Files, as Chief is a year or more in development , so 2020 versions etc usually work perhaps 2021 too?.......  I have not tried your file as yet on PC..... but can if needed.

Mick.

So they sent me another file and they backed off to 2010 CAD.......  this time if I converted the topo lines to elevation lines they did not come in....  if I did not convert they did come in.

oh the many mysteries of CA.

Mick,  if you haver a moment check it out and see if you get same results....

ACAD-4433 UPLAND ST - Client TOPO CAD - EXPORTED TO 2010 CAD.dwg

5 minutes ago, dshall said:

Mick,  if you haver a moment check it out and see if you get same results....

Ok back , and the 1st File you posted does import into X15   are you trying in X14 perhaps?  although I see no Topo Data

just PLs and street etc....  I'll try it again in case the Elev.. info layer was turned off.... It is however spread WAY out,  the PL Info

is at top right and the Company's text label bottom left....

image.thumb.png.65671a9a3978895a924a868e13469b2c.png

23 minutes ago, dshall said:

Yep,  that is what I get.....  see attached pic....  that is what should be there and you will get that info if you import the 2010 file

4433 UPLAND ST - Client Plot.pdf 559.78 kB · 0 downloads

Well I'd say they sent the Wrong File the 1st time then No?  or had all the layers turned off when saved? as I tried it several different ways and got nothing different even importing every layer to its own new layer , and Chief shows there is nothing on those layers.

* Yes different info in the 2010 file................

image.thumb.png.5bbb911efae676319042d4b7cdf06bbb.png

M.

I do not think they sent the wrong file over.

This is the second time this has happened to me.......  on X15.......  when I try to import DWG info from a current version of an ACAD file,  I do not get info......  the civil engineers has to export their info into a much earlier version of ACAD....  in this case it was a 2010 ACAD file,  and then I can import info.  

You have verified my statement.

BTW,  when you imported the contour lines did you import them as ELEVATION LINES and when you did,  did they have the elevation of the line ("smart topo lines")

Yep , send it in as I've never had issues before as long as the ACAD File was 1 or 2 yrs "younger " than the Chief Version (release year).

At least Tech. Support should give you some insight into what Version do ( should ) work in X15 which would be good info for everyone here.

I've also found that not all Surveyors include the Elev. Line Height Data in the CAD Lines and you have to do it manually ( convert them to El. Lines )

M.

I use autodesk dwg trueview to convert dwg files to an earlier acad version all the time. I get survey files from site engineering firms. 

Simple to use and you can view the file to see what’s in it. 

Sometimes you lose dimensions or text depending on what software they use to create the dwg. But the line work is usually good.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:19 AM, someguy said:

I use autodesk dwg trueview

Me too --  to down-save Autocad to earlier versions.

It's free from Autodesk.  Not sure if there is a Mac version.  PC version works well.

• Upvote 1