Degrees In Metric

simonas

OK, anyone in metric please help me to figure this out:

Draw rectangular and some cross lines - one could be 45 degrees and others any angle with angle snap turned off. Like here is the screenshot 1.

Make sure you have degrees as default for angles - screenshot 2

Draw dimension to all of them and you see if angle is normal like 45º it shows correctly - 45º. If I have some other like 13.54º it switches back to minutes and seconds! 

Have submitted this to Brian here is his latest answer: 

"As for how it displays I am not sure if we can or cannot display the dimension the way you want. I am not familiar with the example you gave of 12,90°. Could you explain how this would apply to the normal Degrees, minutes, seconds standard?"

I'm 11 years in the business and have never seen anyone showing angles in this fashion, not here in Europe. So this is not a standard for metric. If I choose degrees, not minutes/seconds I want all my measures be showed as degrees. I don't even know what that means 81º 44'49" :)

you guys overseas are strange :)

post-1751-0-84132200-1423567061_thumb.png

post-1751-0-12605700-1423567071_thumb.png

post-1751-0-41430400-1423567080_thumb.png

post-1751-0-54124200-1423567090_thumb.png

Simonas,

I'm not sure I am following you 100%, but:

The Display Line Angle As setting in the CAD Defaults doesn't control the format of angular dimensions, it controls the display of a lines angle when Show Angle is selected in the Line Specification dbx.

To get decimal degrees to display for angular dimensions, I believe that you have to draw the angular dimension, select it and change the format to Decimal which gives you decimal degrees.

I don't think there is a default to force decimal degrees for angular dimensions.

The reason that 45deg always looks correct that it is an accurate amount - there are no minutes or seconds (or more decimal places).

In Australia use both deg, min, sec, (mostly for site boundaries) or decimal degrees.

It would be nice to have a default for formatting the various angular formats, but I think, that at this stage, you need to change the angular format after you draw the angular dimension.

Ah, another thing, I don't think you can specify the number of decimal places with decimal angular dimensions. 

Definitely room for improvement here. And I can't imagine it these would be a huge thing to implement - definitely worth a suggestion.

post-106-0-01706700-1423570449_thumb.jpg

So if I understand it correctly there are two points of confusion here.

First, you don't use degrees, minutes and seconds. Which I agree is a really odd way of displaying angles which doesn't make much logical sense to me, but is very common.

The second confusion on our end is your use of comma for the decimal place indicator which produces something that can be confusing to someone not expecting the use of comma as a decimal separator. We would write 12.90° rather than 12,90°.

In your case the answers are not as good as they should be. You can open the angular dimension and select the Degrees format for display. Unfortunately, setting this as the default for new angular dimensions is not an available option. I don't think we have a setting for controlling the number of decimal places.

This really shows off our lack of complete support for international locales, which is really unfortunate.

Are you able to get the comma display correct. I think we pick that up correctly from system settings, but I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment to check.

I really appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, most of our metric feedback has been based on customers in Australia, where they seem to be OK with the degrees minutes seconds format.

I look forward to finding and fixing other issues that you may have due to our less than complete understanding of the world.

Excerpt from Wikipedia article on Degree (Angle):

History[edit]

The original motivation for choosing the degree as a unit of rotations and angles is unknown. One theory states that it is related to the fact that 360 is approximately the number of days in a year.[2] Ancient astronomers noticed that the sun, which follows through the ecliptic path over the course of the year, seems to advance in its path by approximately one degree each day. Some ancient calendars, such as the Persian calendar, used 360 days for a year. The use of a calendar with 360 days may be related to the use of sexagesimal numbers.

Another theory is that the Babylonians subdivided the circle using the angle of an equilateral triangle as the basic unit and further subdivided the latter into 60 parts following their sexagesimal numeric system.[3][4] The earliest trigonometry, used by theBabylonian astronomers and their Greek successors, was based on chords of a circle. A chord of length equal to the radius made a natural base quantity. One sixtieth of this, using their standard sexagesimal divisions, was a degree.

Aristarchus of Samos and Hipparchus seem to have been among the first Greek scientists to exploit Babylonian astronomical knowledge and techniques systematically.[5][6] Timocharis, Aristarchus, AristillusArchimedes, and Hipparchus were the first Greeks known to divide the circle in 360 degrees of 60 arc minutes.[7] Eratosthenes used a simpler sexagesimal system dividing a circle into 60 parts.

The division of the circle into 360 parts also occurred in ancient India, as evidenced in the Rigveda:[8]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree_%28angle%29

Can't blame this one on America - gotta blame the technology of the time it was invented. Dividing degrees into 60 equal parts fit with the paradigm of the day, and made the math easier than all those never-ending decimal places. Unless you're building heart monitors, does the 10,000th place on a degree measurement really matter?

"The Metric System is the tool of the devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hog's head, and that's the way I likes it!" Abraham Simpson, The Simpsons

Decimals work fine in angular dimensions but it would be nice to be able to change the number of decimal places as most builders can only work to plus/minus 1 degree.

I would like to be able to specify and angle to 1 decimal place 12.6 ° not 12.5978°

Agreed. Better control here seems like something that we should have given you a long time ago.

• 1 year later...