Did X15 come with a change to the Chief Blueprint font?

JWoelkeGOGHomes

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I installed X15 yesterday but kept my install of X12 as I have long running projects to maintain and didn't want the stress or work of having to update all of my old templates and whatnot.

I opened a file in X12 today and now many of my text boxes that used this font aren't filling the boxes. It's like the "new" chief blueprint font is slightly smaller than it was just a few days ago. 

Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way to fix it?

I recall Chief changing the font sizing/spacing at some point, but don't recall when.  I have kept the old font and reinstall it each time there is an update as Chief will reinstall the new one with each patch.  (as @Alaskan_Son suggested)   I have since changed my font to a more modern one partially for aesthetics and partially because I got tired of Chief making changes and causing issues with my files.  But, Michaels suggestion of reinstalling it hopefully fixes it for you.  You may even see two versions of the font installed and I think you can just uninstall the newer one (with the more current date).

Hope that adds clarification.

Thanks for the reply. It seems like only rich text boxes were affected. I've tried changing the character height and coming up with a simple formula (i.e 3" text goes to 3.25") but it's still ever so slightly different and it means updating text boxes and font sizes on like 35 plans....

I don't want to mess with the font file quite yet as I'm worried it'll make things even worse. Also, the font version is still showing version 8 00 from May 2, 2022. So I don't think it's the actual font file... Something about installing X15 changed the displayed size of rich text in X12 even though it's still showing my same sizes....

Really confused and a little miffed. 

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

They did at some point, just an FYI, I feel like you like to know this info. Was originally created by Dan Baumann and called blueprintdb

Ya, I was aware that they have changed it a few times.  I just didn't know if they changed in for X15. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You're seeing the font version, not the install date. 

Looks like it was modified the exact minute I opened X12 for the first time since installing X12. How do I know what version of the chief font I was using before and getting a copy of that?

2 minutes ago, JWoelkeGOGHomes said:

Looks like it was modified the exact minute I opened X12 for the first time since installing X12.

That's just a coincidence.  Mine shows the exact same date. 

3 minutes ago, JWoelkeGOGHomes said:

How do I know what version of the chief font I was using before....?

This, I can't tell you.  I'm not sure how one might do that. 

5 minutes ago, JWoelkeGOGHomes said:

getting a copy of that?

Just an idea, but you might try saving a copy of the font (in case the rest of my suggestion doesn't work) and then opening X12.  It's possible X12 will try to find and automatically install the missing font.  If that doesn't work, just reinstall X12 from your digital locker and I'm assuming the old font will install with it.  Once installed, copy it for future re-install.  

• Upvote 1

@Alaskan_SonYou're the man! I remembered sending a copy of the font file to a design manager for one of my customers like a year ago and found and downloaded the old font. I took the risk and deleted all chief blueprint fonts (after backing them up in case I need them to run X15 properly) then added the old version I had back in and now my old plans are displaying properly! Thanks for the help from everyone in here but you especially. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JWoelkeGOGHomes said:

I took the risk and deleted all chief blueprint fonts (after backing them up in case I need them to run X15 properly) then added the old version I had back in 

FYI, every X15 or future patch, Chief will reinstall the new font, so you need to fix this each time by either doing as you did and uninstall all fonts and install the individual font (which is how I used to do it), or just uninstall the offending font, which is faster.  All the best.

A number of changes were made to the Chief Blueprint font in X14. I am not aware of any changes that were made for X15 though.

Most of these changes had to do with better bold and italic support. There were a number of other bug fixes and minor improvements that were made at the same time though.  If you plan to continue working in X12 for a while longer, then continuing to use the old font is probably fine.  If you plan on switching over to X15, I recommend using the newer font though.

You will likely find a lot of differences between X12 and X15.  I recommend that you take a look at this migration guide for some more detailed info:

https://cloud.chiefarchitect.com/1/pdf/documentation/chief-architect-x15-migration-guide.pdf

• 3 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 2:00 PM, Dermot said:

Most of these changes had to do with better bold and italic support. There were a number of other bug fixes and minor improvements that were made at the same time though.  If you plan to continue working in X12 for a while longer, then continuing to use the old font is probably fine.  If you plan on switching over to X15, I recommend using the newer font though.

Were any of the X14 changes related to kerning? It seems that my fonts are all condenced with little if any whitespace between the letters in a word. A page wide title on the screen will print to about 3/4 width on the PDF file. The body text looks like a jumbled mess.