What Determines Overview Camera X,Y Location?

HumbleChief

24 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I always thought that the x,y on the plan indicated the position of the camera on the plan. 
In the camera dbx it corresponds more or less to those coordinates. I think?

image.thumb.jpeg.18ffb5da64df4f4c251c9fe029b653a1.jpeg

Thanks Michael but the X,Y you are pointing to is the current location of the cursor when the screen shot was taken, not sure how that could effect the default location of the camera? I opened the plan again and the cameras default to the same X, Y location. Not sure why?

4 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

That is absolutely correct. Use Input Point to place a point at 0,0, then create a Camera snapping to that point

image.thumb.png.63e4d037ca5746b44fbf5aa0a28a2606.png

Thank you and of course a camera can be manually located but why the default location? And as above the X, Y Michael is pointing out was the current location of the cursor when the screen shot was taken. I can move the camera closer and position it manually but again am curious about the default location.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

but again am curious about the default location.

Oh gotcha. That's just based on the model. There's some fancy math to determine the center and the overall size of the model, then the camera gets placed, facing the model at 120°, at an "appropriate distance" as to view the whole model. So it's totally dependent on how big your model is, where the model was drawn (around 0,0? A few miles off?), etc.

10 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

the X,Y you are pointing to is the current location of the cursor when the screen shot was taken

Oh and if you want to get pedantic, the displayed x/y in the status bar locks when a dialog is open, so if he used the Edit Active View button to open that dbx, that coord is actually probably somewhere near the top/left of his view :)

10 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

There's some fancy math to determine the center and the overall size of the model, then the camera gets placed, facing the model at 120°, at an "appropriate distance" as to view the whole model. So it's totally dependent on how big your model is, where the model was drawn (around 0,0? A few miles off?), etc.

This looks to be true, that the distance is based on 'some fancy math' and in this case not considering 0,0 as the model is drawn close to 0,0. In the pic attached I change the model size 3 times, set the default cameras and their locations changed 3 times based on the size of model's floor plan. 0,0 (X) is pretty much in the middle of the pictured example.

X,Y Coodinates 2.png

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I change the model size 3 times, set the default cameras and their locations changed 3 times based on the size of model's floor plan.

Yup, exactly what I did to verify my hypothesis - I am curious if you nudged your cameras after they were created, because all of mine were all parallel at that default 120° angle.

image.thumb.png.a351b19eb8eba0d06b465805ecadcd1a.png

It makes sense that it should ignore 0,0 since there's no huge push for plans to be drawn based on the plans origin -- if you draw  off-origin, that shouldn't affect how you view your model.

image.thumb.png.cca5c6ae0bb2c5e0338937ed834a868a.png

3 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I am curious if you nudged your cameras after they were created, because all of mine were all parallel at that default 120° angle.

No but the model's perimeter was different enough to relocate each camera at its new 120 degree angle. Also it's easy enough to relocate the cameras by dragging them into place for easier zooming/panning. Was just curious about the default locations. Thank You.

Not sure if it helps , but as mentioned an Overview includes everything in the plan , so a lager Terrain Perimeter will alter the view as will, importantly in some cases, "lost objects"  eg something you tried pasting in the wrong view and is now 500ft ( or further) from the house :)

M.