custom metal siding

LeeDrafter

Hello,

I would like to use a metal siding similar to this picture, and I can't find a similar material in CA. The closest I see is vertical paneling. I can adjust the angle so it's horizontal and change the scale for wider boards, but I don't know how to get rid of the wood grain look and change it to a metal texture. Any advice on a material texture that would work well? 

Also, does anybody know what this type of large scale horizontal metal siding is called? Perhaps there is more information on Chief Talk already, but I didn't know what to search for since I don't know the technical name for this material. Thanks so much!

Photo

Lee

X12

From Bridger Steel's website galleries, here is a pic of the product, called Shiplap Panel, run horizontally as you show in post 1.

They make it in 12 and 16 inch widths, and your pic looks like 16.  Bridger shows a section detail calling out available reveal widths, like 1/8 up to 1 inch, and it is not clear to me if the panels are made with differing male lead edges so the reveals are precise when tight, or if it is done by installer.

You can use Chief's shiplap panel texture adjusted to whatever panel width you want to do this.  Here is a pic of me using the texture on an inside wall and look close to see the subtle panel width change going bottom up.  It goes 6 then 5 then 4.  Three material regions.  Three edits of the texture to get the 6-5-4 widths, and edit origin to get the seam right on the material region horizontal bottom edges.

Screenshot 2023-01-06 143121.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-09 135318.jpg

3 hours ago, LeeDrafter said:

Any advice on a material texture that would work well? 

Make your Own.............. not that hard with the use of WMR's or Solids with a Satin metal material applied then take a view ( left end for me ) and take a screen grab and make a new Material with the new texture (pic)  - the WMRs look better as real 3D but a bit more work on a large building , though with multi-copy it would be too bad i'd think.

image.thumb.png.5941df817854e1a5112089d394fa4faf.png                     

Black Satin Metal and Full Siding Material :MHD Material and Texture.calibz

Mick.

5 minutes ago, LeeDrafter said:

Hi Eric, thank you. I don't have an account with 3D Warehouse and can't view the link without one. Before I make an account, I'm wondering if this is a texture that can be downloaded and imported into Chief?

Thanks!

Yes, you can import SKP files directly into Chief.You can edit the dimensions and materials from there.

25 minutes ago, LeeDrafter said:

Thanks! I will make an account!

It's just a flat rectangle on 3D Warehouse, it's not a Chief Material, hence the suggestion above to make your own.  ( or use mine )  

* Ahhhh I see now you are still in X12 , so no you can't use mine.......   hopefully you know today is the last day to upgrade to X14 and stay on SSA?

image.thumb.png.430e673e12741183e248dca9e86458cb.png

M.

2 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

That item in SU is described as "Right Shoulder Horizontal 1" Webbing 1-sided 5""

What is it?  My SU is the last free one they let you download to your box, Sketchup Make 2017.  I cannot open any of the models that can be downloaded.

You can still download with a Web Account as far as I know Gene , that's all I have..... I just sign in with my gmail.

M.

7 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

That item in SU is described as "Right Shoulder Horizontal 1" Webbing 1-sided 5""

What is it?  My SU is the last free one they let you download to your box, Sketchup Make 2017.  I cannot open any of the models that can be downloaded.

You don't need SU on your system to download a model, just save it to a file of your choice and then bring it into Chief. Once you have the symbol in your plan, you can  open the item to manipulate the dimensions and material (I do this frequently).