awning

winterdd

Hard to build...this is relative to the skill of the person with the wood and the saws. Time consuming, yes. The real cost to this type of roof is in the cladding, not the framing.

They take 5-10 times longer to frame than a simple roof, but still, we're talking a couple of hours instead of 15 minutes. Curved standing seam metal...be prepared for $$$$!

40 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

This curved awning looks cool but it is from the library and won't generate framing. Are they hard to build manually as roof planes?

I assume you mean "generate framing" in Chief. No, it won't build framing for that symbol, and if you make one from roof planes the framing will be a little wonky, but it will work.

I threw this one in together a couple minutes to show:

1463501333_ScreenShot2023-01-04at12_06_10PM.thumb.png.5bbfc36c4a98ba589a1eea8a1fa906d2.png:

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

I assume you mean "generate framing" in Chief.

Good point! I assumed Rob was debating over the complexity of actual construction to decide if this type of element suited a particular project budget.

48 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Good point! I assumed Rob was debating over the complexity of actual construction to decide if this type of element suited a particular project budget.

And you were right! The last one we did had a different curve to the sides versus the front. And that was before my master framer passed away, so I don't think there will be any more of those. It was a real head scratcher!

And yes, the copper material alone for that 3x9 awning was about two grand :o

4 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

I assume you mean "generate framing" in Chief. No, it won't build framing for that symbol, and if you make one from roof planes the framing will be a little wonky, but it will work.

I threw this one in together a couple minutes to show:

1463501333_ScreenShot2023-01-04at12_06_10PM.thumb.png.5bbfc36c4a98ba589a1eea8a1fa906d2.png:

You are correct, framing in chief. Luckily, I got out of this one since we are just increasing the pitch on the existing awning I built and no curvature. Good job creating that by the way.

I did builds like that in the field, jigsawing and bandsawing curved rafters, sheeting them with wacky wood bending ply, and subbing the metal to the steel seam or copper guys.

Using 2D CAD to make drawings at first, from which came paper and pencil layouts for patterns, I moved up to getting full size patterns printed on a continuous feed plotter.  Paste it onto 2x12s with spray adhesive, and cut.  Today I'd get the cutting done at a CNC shop.