Will Chief 'notch' I-Joists (Tji's) For Eave Overhangs?

HumbleChief

I need to frame the roof with 9 1/2" TJI's but want a 2 X 6 rafter tail to match existing construction.

I was trying get Chief to 'notch' the TJI down to 2 x 6 but I'm guessing this won't happen from the experiments I've tried with different roof framing members. Usually Chief will take the sub-fascia measurement and apply it to the rafter tail and size it accordingly, leaving the main rafter at the specified size. It seems to only work with 'Lumber' and not 'I-joists'.

I guess you would use a sistered on framing member if you wanted to change sizes and wouldn't cut an I-joist in the real world. Maybe Chief is that smart?

I was trying to do a quick roof framing plan, but looks like will have to add sistered member manually which is what I was trying to avoid.

Curious.

I would personally sister on a 2x10 with a notch/cut to your 2x6 tail so the dimensional lumber better connects with the top/bottom flange of the rafter members. For modeling, can't you just have the I-joist clipped at bearing wall and manually place the sister-ed lumber piece on each rafter?  ... or will cheif not show to the fascia if the framing is a custom model piece?

Like this?  I-Level is showing a few different ways to use sawn lumber tails, but this one gives the right look if one is doing them exposed.

As for doing it in Chief, I would use solids placed on their own framing layer, or try drawing in sawn member rafters sistered alongside the i-joists.

post-55-0-28354300-1422478987_thumb.png

I would personally sister on a 2x10 with a notch/cut to your 2x6 tail so the dimensional lumber better connects with the top/bottom flange of the rafter members. For modeling, can't you just have the I-joist clipped at bearing wall and manually place the sister-ed lumber piece on each rafter?  ... or will cheif not show to the fascia if the framing is a custom model piece?

Thanks Johnny, Will probably use the detail posted by Gene above but as far as modeling I think I worked it out with auto-framing with 9 1/2" TJI's which creates a fascia, though too large because apparently Chief won't trim to the sub-fascia using TJI's.

Then I pulled each rafter/joist back to the bearing wall and manually placed the sistered rafter members which butt to the fascia which was now the proper (sub fascia measurement) size after the TJI had been moved back. That last bit pleasantly surprised me.

Like this?  I-Level is showing a few different ways to use sawn lumber tails, but this one gives the right look if one is doing them exposed.

As for doing it in Chief, I would use solids placed on their own framing layer, or try drawing in sawn member rafters sistered alongside the i-joists.

Thanks Gene, Will probably proceed exactly as you have suggested.

Larry

I am really new to the program and use this detail (usually with 14" I-joists and 2x6 extensions) a lot. I am unclear how to put in the extension rafters and attach them to the fascia so all looks correct in section & elevation. Sounds like I may have to work on my framing layers more diligently....