Rotated materials to get grain direction right in stile and rail doors

GeneDavis

I needed a murphy bed in a plan, and since I am faster at building a thing like this in Sketchup than in Chief, that's what I did.  See the first pic, attached.

I drew the doors in SU with lines at all the stile and rail joints, so I could do differently oriented woodgrain texturing with Chief's OOB knotty pine material.  I copied "knotty pine," edited it by rotating the texture 90 degrees, and saved it as "knotty pine H."  I painted the symbol and it looks good.

When I do this SU-into-Chief thing, I just paint the model in SU with bright primary Crayola-like colors, so when in Chief, I can easily spot what has to be what, in painting it with Chief materials.  So the model as it imports and goes into my user library looks like something in a kindergarten play room.

I wanted to save the Chief-textured symbol, the one seen here, and did.  But when it is placed in a Chief model, it loses the H texture.  By that I mean all the rails, plus the crown element at the top, all those things that had been textured with the H (horizontal) version of knotty pine, are now V and wrong.  See the second pic.

Why does this occur when editing a symbol's materials and then saving the symbol?

BTW, anybody want a murphy bed symbol?  This one's of a real product you can buy.  See the third pic.

Screenshot 2022-09-13 154237.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-13 155500.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-11 165813.jpg

Hi Gene,

I think Chief has modified how materials get rotated in the Symbols.  They've tried to orient the textures the long direction of long/thin pieces.  This is new in X14 so I think what you're seeing is Chief "fixing" the textures.

Try assigning just one texture to all the pieces and then create your Symbol.  I think that will work correctly.

If you build this in Chief, there's no need to make different materials. And the only thing you need to 'build' is a custom cabinet door. In the example below I made this door using 2 different objects, replicated. 3d solids for the stiles and panel, 3d molding for the rails. Woodgrain textures that are vertical always show the right way on moldings!

Convert to cabinet door symbol and apply to a full height cabinet.

image.thumb.png.fa4a46399b21c71f3fe452d684f4309c.png